Next Thread
Print Thread
V
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
V
Hey guys,

I just noticed this today. When I flash my brights, my head unit "resets" like I just turned it on.

However, it only does this when I'm listening to a CD or MP3 cd. If I'm listening to the radio, it's fine. When I "turn on" the hi-beams (not flash them), everything's fine, too- both CD and radio.

BTW, Blaupunkt "phoenix" HU in a 98.5 E1 SVT. Everything was perfect with the Kenwood HU that I had previously.

Any ideas?

-Chuck Dienzo Black 98.5 E1 SVT #5022 of 6535 Born on March 16, 1998 "If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason."
I
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
I
Might be your chargin system and or battery. When you flash teh brights the change in power might get to low and the headunit is forced to turn off. But when you have them hi beams on constant they power drop is corrected. Also, When you listen to the radio the headunit is not drawing as much power.

1999 Ford Contour Lx, 2.5L V6 ATX, 145,000 miles Pioneer DEH-P6400 H/U , Rockford Fosgate 351M 350 Watt Amp, Pioneer TS-W305DVC 12" Sub, Compustar 2WSS, Whelen CSP650 Strobe Pack with 6 strobes, Whelen Talon B/B LED Dash Light
R
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
R
Originally posted by idioticslacker:
Might be your chargin system and or battery. When you flash teh brights the change in power might get to low and the headunit is forced to turn off. But when you have them hi beams on constant they power drop is corrected. Also, When you listen to the radio the headunit is not drawing as much power.

I'm gonna go with "no.."

Consider a few things, here:

One:
If this theory were true, there would be VERY LITTLE POWER AT ALL in the car, and you would likely get some kind of warning about your electrical system (i.e., same as when your alternator dies... gauges go biserk, etc) I don't think that the headlights would cause the entire system to crash so low that the radio would go out, but no other symptoms..

Two:
The radio/cd player wiring *does* run through the headlight switch.... Key words in this users post were that it does it when he "flashes" the highs.. not turns them on. Considering that the headlight stalk has two different positions for this: one forward for constant-on, and pull back to flash, then this would point to a possibility that the problem could lie in a short between the "flash" part of that switch, and the radio wiring.

Vudusvt: Do you currently retain the stock wiring connectors, or did you opt to hardwire the radio yourself? A few of the "power" wires run through the headlight switch, as well.. your "ignition" wire runs through there, for one (as well as through your ignition, of course)

Do you have a multimeter? I would pull your radio out, and check, first of all, for no bare wires shorting, etc.. Next I would use the multimeter to test your leads (both single wires, and connector harness pins) for any change in voltage from when you read them in "normal" mode (car running, lights off, or dim) and then have a friend hold back the stalk and flash the highs... see if the voltage to any of those wires changed....

If you own a Haynes manual, check out pages
12-59 (Radio/Cassette)
and 12-34/35 for headlighting..

Anyone else wanna take a stab at it/correct me if I am wrong/make me look like a fool/etc LOL

Ray

'99 CSVT - Silver #222/276 In a constant state of blow-off euphoria.
Originally posted by Kremitthefrog:
I like to wear dresses and use binoculars to watch grandmas across the street.

V
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
V
Thanks for the tips... I had the shop install it for me since it was free. When I get a chance, I'll go back to have them hopefully fix it- I'll bring my Haynes manual in case they need some wiring references.

If that doesn't do it, I suppose I'll return it, buy some "go-fast" mods and just hum to myself.

BTW, thanks, mods, for moving this thread to a more correct forum.

-Chuck Dienzo Black 98.5 E1 SVT #5022 of 6535 Born on March 16, 1998 "If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason."

Moderated by  dnewma04_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard