Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
J
Originally posted by Jason43:
I'm going to say wheel cylinder. That could explain why you don't see any fluid on the ground. It could also explain why the pedal feels fine, but the stopping is a little rough -your drum would have a light coating of fluid on it. Check the rear drums to see if you can see where fluid has leaked out of them.

looky here

A Haynes manual would help you with this.

"...first he's gonna s*!t, then he's gonna kill us." 1999 Contour SVT Retrojunk.com
H
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
H
Originally posted by Big Jim:
and the drums will need to be machined.

If hes lucky, both my cylidners went a few weeks ago. The shoes only contacted on one side as a result it tore the drum to hell. It was way beyond the diameter allowed.

R
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
R
I replaced the wheel cylinders on mine that had the same symptoms. Follow the advice above and do both, mine failed almost in unison. I had some difficulty finding the correct cylinders. Niether the local Ford or Mercury dealerships could locate the correct ones (!), There is a D shaped hole in the backing plate that the wheel cylinder fits in. Everybody (dealership, several parts stores) all had one that was a mirror image form the ones I needed. (No, they are not left/right they are identical.) I finally just used a dremel and modified the backing plate to fit the new wheel cylenders. (BTW about $25 each at autozone) You may not have the problem, you may the brakes that they all had the correct part for. Be forewarned when buying parts for contour drums. There are TWO sizes of drum, and they show upon vehicles in no particular order. My car has the larger of the two drums, and it appears that all the parts stores have the parts for the smaller size.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Andy W._dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard