#934710 04/27/04 11:26 PM
T
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by Eurythmian:
My Paper work says:

Replaced Right Front Cat. Convertor and Exhaust Manifold Assembly.

So they did just one side?

Okay, here's the very latest. After reading some additional comments I took my Check Engine Light problem one step further - I went somewhere else other than AutoZone. Since the light came on I've still had no problems at all with the operation of my car, it runs perfect. So my first stop was FORD, not so good for "Free Advice", though the guy did slip and say the P0420 problem can be the simplest thing! From there I went to Knechts Auto Parts, they have a very expensive code reader. It still read P0420, but he said that code can be trigered by many minor problems, sometimes at the "Gas Pump"! In other words, if the cap is not on properly, you'll also get a Check Engine Light with a P0420 code!!! In Oregon there's no self serve... guess what, my cap was not on properly. He cleared the Check Engine Light and I drove over 50 miles afterward. I even started and stopped the engine at least 5 or 6 times, and guess what, no more Check Engine Light...

And yes, the light comes on and goes off as it should during startup, it wasn't disabled.

Thomas

I Live My Life A Quarter Mile At A Time... During That 10 Seconds Or Less, I'm Free! 1998.5 SVT Contour aka: THE TOURMINATOR
#934711 04/28/04 09:04 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
jsut for the heck of it here----

http://www.epa.gov/otaq/consumer/warr95fs.txt

What Are Specified Major Emission Control Components?

There are three specified major emission control components,
covered for the first 8 years or 80,000 miles of vehicle use on 1995
and newer vehicles:

* Catalytic converters.

* The electronic emissions control unit or computer (ECU).

* The onboard emissions diagnostic device or computer (OBD).

#934712 04/29/04 12:55 PM
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
A loose gas cap will not cause a P0420 code. It will cause a P0455 (Gross Evap Leak) code.

If that "expert" with the fancy code reader understood how the OBD-II Cat Efficiency Monitor test worked, he would never have told you that. He also would have told you about "Drive Cycles" and why they are important in when certain tests will be run.

Take the car on several more trips and see when the code comes back. Cyling the ignition several times will not cause the apprpriate internal tests to be run. If you were to have the codes scanned right now, you would likely have a pending p0420.

Steve

98 Contour SE Sport 2.5 Duratec ATX The wifey's car 89 Taurus SHO - 246K miles 94 SHO ATX - 190K 1997 F-150 5.4L ATX - The Workhorse 150K. ANY THREAD WITH "OMG" or "WTF" ETC IN THE TITLE WILL BE IGNORED!
#934713 04/30/04 01:52 AM
T
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by projectSHO89:
A loose gas cap will not cause a P0420 code. It will cause a P0455 (Gross Evap Leak) code.

If that "expert" with the fancy code reader understood how the OBD-II Cat Efficiency Monitor test worked, he would never have told you that. He also would have told you about "Drive Cycles" and why they are important in when certain tests will be run.

Take the car on several more trips and see when the code comes back. Cyling the ignition several times will not cause the apprpriate internal tests to be run. If you were to have the codes scanned right now, you would likely have a pending p0420.

Steve

I thought about those same concerns that you have, but I have driven my SVT for the past three days and the check engine light has not returned - and the light correctly cycles during start up. Also, I didn't just cycle the engine when I said it was started up 5 or 6 times, those were various start ups after stopping at the store, a friends house, etc. To this day since purchase my car has run the same, powerful and perfect - no changes or drop in horse power, fuel use, or poor operation. Whether the gas cap was correct or not, the fact is the cap was not on all of the way. The thing is, something trigered the sensor, whether it was the cap, a high powered excelleration, or even a bad batch of fuel, the point remains it hasn't returned and it is possible that this reading was trigered by accident or in error.

I know from years of experience with my home computer and office computers that system errors take place weekly, sometimes daily. That same technology is also in the car computer which also could have been created in error. It can be frustrating at times, but remember - computers are only has full proof as the humans that design them.

Fruit for thought: LOW Tech is sometimes better than NEW Tech. New technology computer equipment is unbelievable in speed and service, but also more open to damage and error. This is one reason why NASA uses older 8088 and 286 computer equipment in the space shuttle and planetary probes, they're stronger and hold up to riggerous elements such as launch, heat, cold, and extreme vibration. And though a car is not launched into space, it does face elements such as starts and stops in traffic, chuck holes, heat, cold, vibrating stereos, power surges, and an open end variety of radio signals, microwave transmissions, and cell phone transmissions. Unless the operation of your car changes, there's always the possibility or computer error.

Thomas

I Live My Life A Quarter Mile At A Time... During That 10 Seconds Or Less, I'm Free! 1998.5 SVT Contour aka: THE TOURMINATOR
#934714 04/30/04 04:23 AM
I
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
I
another friut for thought,It can take up too 5 to 6 days and even more than 10 to 12 starts, before a CEL will come back on. I'm dealing with a p0455 right now . Hope you have better luck.

#934715 04/30/04 04:37 AM
A
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
A
i havent read all the other post, so i might be completly wrong here, but my check engine light came on, and was on for about a week, today i changed the fuel filter, and right after that, the light went out and hasnt been on since.... just a thought if your light is on and you dont know why....

Aaron

#934716 05/01/04 12:00 AM
T
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by aaron_soccer20:
i havent read all the other post, so i might be completly wrong here, but my check engine light came on, and was on for about a week, today i changed the fuel filter, and right after that, the light went out and hasnt been on since.... just a thought if your light is on and you dont know why....

Aaron

Interesting? Just for the sake of argument, I'll change out my fuel filter this weekend when I change the oil and oil filter - it can't hurt. So far so good, no light.

Thomas

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard