Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
A
Atomix Offline OP
OP Offline
A
I'm about to undertake the waterpump replacement on my 98.5 v6 MTX, but the FAQ left me a little confused. I also have the Haynes manual, but this is even more vague, and suggests a full collant drain. The point of confusion is this from the FAQ: "Unclip the plastic clamp around the water hoses. Unclamp the hose attached to the steel tube that runs along the front of the engine".

Does someone have a pic showing what is being described there? Or should I just remove whatever cooling hoses are...in the way.

Other than that, taking out the thermostat should be easy, and only reaching the Water pump's lower bolts should give me fits, right?

Thanks in Advance

S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
Just undo what's attached..not that hard. And the lower bolts are very accesible from under the car. Its a 45 minute job...not that hard.

T-red E0 SVT ATS 17x7.5 Comp Lites, 215/45/17 Falken 512s, Ausi Bar, Boxed subframe, Poli all around, Warmonger's Opt Y, Opt TB, AFE, DMD, NGK's, Bendix Ti, Alpine, Polk, Mobil-1 0W-40, Redline MTL.
T
I have no life
I have no life
T
Take the parts off that are keeping you from removing the pump. Installation is the reverse of removal.

-'96 SE MTX 3L -'98 SVT 1,173 of 6,535 -'05 Mazda 6s, loaded, g/f's ride -Need a 96-00 manual on CD? PM or email me
M
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
M
Just done this on the Mondeo,don't know if our pipe layout is different but didn't have to remove any pipes.The original gasket was metal/rubber so i reused that too(much better than the paper one supplied with the pump from Bat IMO)

Mondeo V6 RS RS Bodykit RS Lowered SVT UIM SVT TB SVT LIM Philips 6000K HID ZENON Twin Stainless Exhaust
B
CEG'er
CEG'er
B
Plastic clamp is just that a piece of plastic at the front of the engine that holds the coolant hoses together as a bundle....

An ounce of prevention provides a pound of cure!
A
Atomix Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Well, went ahead and did the water pump today, but I'm even more confused now. No major problems really, but it did take about 2 hours with the tools I brought to college.

The biggest PITA was the water pump had the paper gasket on it...and it was pretty well stuck to both sides of the pump.
Probably not the best solution, but the gasket didn't want to come off......sooooo I used sand paper to get it almost down to bare metal, then used a new paper gasket (from BAT w/ the pump) and gasket sealant on both sides. It needs 12-24 to set, so I just closed everything up, and didn't refill the lost coolant yet.

The confusion is, my car is a 98.5 and it had the cream white water pump, essentially meaning my 'maintenance' was only maintenance for my peace of mind. But what I can't figure out is, only 99+ are supposed to have these improved pumps right? I don't have my VIN or build date handy, but could Ford have switched over sometime late in the '98.5s?

The car has 2 previous owners, the one before me (22-46K) didn't touch the pump, and I have a hard time believing the first owner did in their 22K miles with the car.

Ideas? Am I just lucky, late build date perhaps?

P.S. For Sale: Water pump with nice cream impeller, at most 46K miles, offers to : gte377z AT prism.gatech.edu

Thanks guys

M
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
M
My 98.5 was just like yours. IIRC there are no documented problems with the cream colored impellers, however you now have a new upgraded pump and no worries.

1999 Toreador Red SVT, DOB 4/22/99, 2005 Of 2760. "Many posted questions are answered by farm boys"
S
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
S
Originally posted by Atomix:
........The confusion is, my car is a 98.5 and it had the cream white water pump, essentially meaning my 'maintenance' was only maintenance for my peace of mind. But what I can't figure out is, only 99+ are supposed to have these improved pumps right? I don't have my VIN or build date handy, but could Ford have switched over sometime late in the '98.5s?.....P.S. For Sale: Water pump with nice cream impeller, at most 46K miles, offers to : gte377z AT prism.gatech.edu

Thanks guys

...So did you replace the cream coloured pump that was OK with something else....
Did I miss something here..?
If it's still running hot do the thermostat(you where right there anyway)
Let us know how it is now

A
Atomix Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Yea, I went ahead and replaced the cream plastic with the metal, mainly because I wasn't terribly sure the two piece, both the bits of the old gasket, would seal terribly well.

I was undertaking this whole endeavour as preventitive maintenance, since I will be using this car for long trips (~100 miles) every other week, not to mention a 500 mile drive to Florida in two weeks.

So no, I never had overheating, but everytime I shifted quick or jerked the throttle I held me breath, envisioning my (I thought) fragile plastic impeller splitting down the middle.

Anyhow, I've only drive maybe 20 miles since the replacement, and everything seems fine, topped the coolant off 3 times so far, but no signs of leakage.

Your t-stat comment reminded me of something, I thought I needed to get that out of the way to get the pump off (I didn't) but discovered that someone had rounded off one of the nuts, so if the t-stat ever goes, I'm buying a whole new housing too it looks like.

Thanks again guys

Link Copied to Clipboard