Next Thread
Print Thread
M
mozha Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
M
Having trouble removing front strut/spring assembly. So far I've removed the control arm, the stabilizer arm and pinch nut on knuckle but still cannot get assembly out...it won't drop low enough. Do I have to remove that lower ball joint as well? As it stands...the strut is kinked a little in the top last little bit of the knuckle mounting hole. I don't care if I wreck the old strut or spring as I'm putting new ones.
If I do have to remove the lower ball joint...is there a way to do this so that I don't destroy the rubber boot on the ball joint?

H
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
H
Originally posted by mozha:
Having trouble removing front strut/spring assembly. So far I've removed the control arm, the stabilizer arm and pinch nut on knuckle but still cannot get assembly out...it won't drop low enough. Do I have to remove that lower ball joint as well? As it stands...the strut is kinked a little in the top last little bit of the knuckle mounting hole. I don't care if I wreck the old strut or spring as I'm putting new ones.
If I do have to remove the lower ball joint...is there a way to do this so that I don't destroy the rubber boot on the ball joint?

Since you didnt say I'm assuming you did remove the three bolts holding it on from under the hood?

T
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
T
Theres not three bolts under the hood...its just one nut on the top of the plastic washer under the hood. The control arm will not come down low enough...been there done that!
Easiest way is to take a grinder with a hard disk and cut the heads off the three rivits holding the lower ball joint and hammer the ball joint off...then just replace the rivits with 3 grade 8 bolts with lock nuts. ( Use fine thread bolts and locks)

E
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
E
I removed my strut tonite to get to a leaking trans. seal. Did you try to open the pinch bolt slot a little more with a punch. Also I find it alot easier to clamp a pry bar or even a 2-3 foot piece of 1x2 wood. Use this for leverage to pushdown on the control arm with your foot or even better have someone stand on it. The only way I could do this job by myself was to use my spring compressors. I compress the spring as it is mounted in the strut tower. You only have to compress the lower two coils a little. This is the only way I am able to clear the ball joint if I am working alone. Also when you do get it out, have a folded up rag to throw over the ball joint rubber boot to protect it before you let up on the control arm. The knuckle can pinch the boot easily if your not carefull.

M
mozha Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
M
Thanks for your response....I tried the 2X4 method but found that the drive shaft interferes with the subframe. I will try to expand the pinch a little more, as you suggested.
thanks again...this group is excellent

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard