Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
H
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
H
If I got a 520watt amp, 2-10 Kenwoods 600watt ( 150RMS) how big of a cap should I get?

I'm thinking one farad should do it, but I want to be sure the lights wont go dim even if the lights, A/C, neon, and stereo is all on.

So what do you think I need?

N
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
N
are your lights dimming now?
the 130 amp alternator in our car is more than enough to handle most stuff. if you are dimming with only 500 watts, you should check battery, battery ground cables (and upgrade to larger wiring), etc

1998 T-Red CSVT 3.0L
C
C
What he said-battery-wiring. Caps are mainly just 4 looks and band-aids 4 weak electrical systems. They won't help much and could end screwing up more in the long term.

B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
Don't waste your money on a cap.

D
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
D
Capaciators are not just for looks. They can be an integral part of a high power system. Think of them as a reserve system for your battery to supply your amps. However it would be wise to check connections on your battery and make sure your alternator is operating properly. Also it is not hard to dim your lights with a small amp, even though the alternator is rated for 130 amps it does not produce that at idle. Your amps could be drawing 50 amps or more and with other things on your car drawing current your left with dimming lights. A one farad cap should work fine though 15 would be even better!

N
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
N
but the point is, this ISNT a high power system, and he shouldnt waste money on a cap when he can most likey fix his problems (if he has any) by just upgrading wires

1998 T-Red CSVT 3.0L
K
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
K
Besides upgrading your ground wire...are you talking about upgrading the wire between the battery and alternator?

AIM...BKapp17 98 T-red SVT Steeda Gutted Pre-cats, no resonator Painted Dash Angel Eye Fogs Painted Chrome ring / headlights Looking for a t-red pre98 trunk lid
N
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
N
1. alternator to battery positive
2. battery neg to ground (frame or chasis)
3. Chassis to engine

1998 T-Red CSVT 3.0L
H
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
H
Well I dont have it hooked up yet so I dont know if they are dimming, see I wanted to know if I would need a cap with all that stuff.

Thanks for the replies, I guess I will just see when I get all the stuff if I need one.

K
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
K
Heres a real noobie question i hate to ask but where is the alternator.....i wanna try to upgrade the wire coming off of it but am not really sure where to run the wire. Does it require a lot of work?

AIM...BKapp17 98 T-red SVT Steeda Gutted Pre-cats, no resonator Painted Dash Angel Eye Fogs Painted Chrome ring / headlights Looking for a t-red pre98 trunk lid
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  dnewma04_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard