Print Thread
#925098 04/10/04 09:38 PM
T
TOURing Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
T
Did a lot of searching through the active forum and the archives, found very little results. Searched for various terms using exact phrase and boolean.

Here's my problem:

96 Contour Sport, 4cyl 2.0L ATX Zetec.
Purchased in Dec 2003.

Often finding oil in the airbox, regular granny driving everything is fine. When I hit anything above 6000 RPM's there's usually enough oil dripping from the airbox onto and down over the trany to cause a noticable oil puddle.
Oil consumption is pretty much non existant except for the spewing when I hit 6000RPM.

Changed Oil and filter about 12,500 KM ago (SYN), waiting for 15,000.

Replaced PCV last month, no change. Checked all related hoses in the PCV path, all securly connected and look good. No noticeable hissing coming from Engine compartment.

When I changed the Air Filter shortly after I purchased the car the PCV foam filter was soaked to pieces.

According to 1 thread I found in archives it may be a blocked oil drain port, any thoughts?

Read another post in regards to a SVT doing the same thing, solution was to open up PCV valve a little more, thoughts?

Cold this problem be caused by a Oil separator that is on the way out, thoughts?

Would placing an oil separator between the PCV and airbox reduce the amount of oil in the airbox? I know this is not a fix but trying to reduce the amount of oil making it's way to the airbox.

Car runs fine, no noticeable sluggishness. Would appreciate any suggestions that you guys have to offer.
Thanks

____________________ 96 GL Sport 2.0L Zetec ATX Custom Focus Intake MSD Blaster DIS Coil ____________________
#925099 04/10/04 10:03 PM
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Test the PCV system.

Pull the fresh air line from the valve cover. Put your thumb over the hole. Over about 10 seconds, the crankcase should pull enough vacuum to suck your thumb to the hole.

If this does not happen you will have to verify that there is vacuum to the PCV valve, that the oil seperator is not plugged, and that there are no air leaks into the crankcase.

Even if oil were building up on the head, a properly operating PCV system should keep it from going back up the fresh air tube into the intake tract. You can always check by looking in the oil fill hole after it's been running awhile.

If the PCV system is evacuating the crankcase, you may have to remove and check the oil seperator or check for excessive blowby.

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it" -George Santayana

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard