Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
E
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
E
I ended up coding my current sites in ASP because that was the first tutorial I found, and it had a pretty simple learning curve.

But I'm considering redoing the sites from scratch to avoid being tied to a Microsoft web server (mainly cost and flexibility consideration).

So, I'm willing to learn a new language, but I'd like:

- Something I can pick up using tutorials and maybe a reference book.

- Must have some form of database support.

- Powerful enough for future expansion.

- Works well with search indexes and spiders

Doesn't have to be the "in" thing, as long as I don't have to be tied to an MS server.

Thanks,
Ed

T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
PHP,

There is soooooo much documentation out on it, plus it works well with mySQL. I run it on my linux box (mod_php) and i love it.

Last edited by ShinyRedSport; 04/07/04 04:21 AM.
H
Scourge of the Master Debaters
Scourge of the Master Debaters
H
Originally posted by ShinyRedSport:
PHP,

There is soooooo much documentation out on it, plus it works well with mySQL. I run it on my linux box (mod_php) and i love it.

Yup.

Beer is my Gatorade. Hooray Beer. '98 "Sport" Pacific Green '98 E0 SVT Silver Frost Pictures
T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by ESC:
I ended up coding my current sites in ASP because that was the first tutorial I found, and it had a pretty simple learning curve.

But I'm considering redoing the sites from scratch to avoid being tied to a Microsoft web server (mainly cost and flexibility consideration).

So, I'm willing to learn a new language, but I'd like:

- Something I can pick up using tutorials and maybe a reference book.

- Must have some form of database support.

- Powerful enough for future expansion.

- Works well with search indexes and spiders

Doesn't have to be the "in" thing, as long as I don't have to be tied to an MS server.

Thanks,
Ed

Perl

Get the camel book. As for databases, consider using perl's DBI interface (very powerful, very easy to use).

Tim

'01 GTP: 3.3" pulley, Headers, 3" Exhaust, Straight Pipe, Intense Air to Water Intercooler.Pictures Old Ride: 95 Mystique LS V6 ATX: Pictures
P
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
P
Originally posted by Tim:
Perl

Werd. I learned enough Perl in a week to do every homework in my grad level Advanced UNIX Programming class - that was my end of term project. It works with ANY language and I used it to code a web page in my Sys Admin class (where we were given a RH linux box to play with).

I never used its DB interface, but I imagine it's as easy as the rest of the language to use.

J
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
J
I vouch for php myself. Php is SO powerful. Their is the phpMyAdmin utility which allows users to manage their database tables on the web. Many cool features, check it out!

2005 Subaru Legacy | Ban Them Forever
T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by PA 3L SVT:
Perl

Werd. I learned enough Perl in a week to do every homework in my grad level Advanced UNIX Programming class - that was my end of term project. It works with ANY language and I used it to code a web page in my Sys Admin class (where we were given a RH linux box to play with).

I never used its DB interface, but I imagine it's as easy as the rest of the language to use.

s/Php//;

Tim

'01 GTP: 3.3" pulley, Headers, 3" Exhaust, Straight Pipe, Intense Air to Water Intercooler.Pictures Old Ride: 95 Mystique LS V6 ATX: Pictures
J
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
J
Originally posted by PA 3L SVT:
Perl

s/Php//;

Tim

$result = str_replace("perl", "php", "perl rocks!");

2005 Subaru Legacy | Ban Them Forever
K
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
K
If you insist on NOT being tied to MS platform, your choices essentially becomes

JSP and its tag library and such
PHP (and often, MySQL as well, but not always)
ColdFusion (and clones, like BlueDragon)

Just a plain jane '96 LX V-6 here...
T
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
T
Zope (www.zope.org)
is more specialized towards content management and organizing large(r)-scale apps than the above mentioned generic tools, but definitely worth taking a look.

Uses Python as implementation language, which (IMHO) has less Windows/Unix portability issues than Perl and PHP. (i.e. wasn't designed prior the Windows era)

Tiv

Link Copied to Clipboard