Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
R
I'm a fan of Mequiar's products, at least until StripedSVT says he's switching over to Griots :P

Anyway, I had a couple questions.
  • I'm going to use the Meguiars clay bar to clean up my surfaces all nice and pretty. Should I NOT use a circular motion when using hte claybar, such as with polishes? Should I make sure to keep it either in and up-down motion, or side-to-side?
  • If I use a clay bar, is a polish still necessary?
  • For the wax, which is a longer lasting wax, Deep Crystal System Carnauba Wax, or Gold Class Clear Coat Wax?

I'm going to make this car look so sexy.... I hope

T
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
T
I am not Roger, I am sure he will chime in, but I will give my opinions none the less

1. I would stick with the cross hatch method. When I got my first clay bar I posted on another forum (forgot, was long ago) there was a detailer who trolled there and gave lots of tips. He recommended cross hatch for almost all application of car detailing. He gave me a long technical answer which I cant remember (sounded good at the time) Since then I have read several detailing handbooks and most refer to this mether. I have used it since and havent been more happy.

2. Yes you still need to polish. Claying your car only gets rid of the nasty contaminants that collects on your paint. Smog, waterspot, brake dust....etc etc from the the environment. Polish actually reduces swirls, scratches and other blemishes.

3. for the wax you have to wait for Roger for the meguirs stuff I have only used Griots for years. I use the best of show but since have purchase the pure caranuba wax...have yet to apply.

Justin Schmidt 2000 SVT Tour #1620 of 2150 Born 1/15/2000
K
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
K
First off, thanks for considering me for your detailing questions As far using the clay bar you do wanna go side to side making sure the surface is well lubed with the detailing spray After that I'd use a good paint cleaner, which cleans BELOW the surface of the paint. Now you have the top/bottom clean and ready for polish. A good polish brings out the true color of your ride. As for the finishing wax, I'd go with the new Meguiars NXT but if you already have those mentioned waxes, I'd go with Gold Class for sure I'm pretty sure I'll be switching to Griots, but I'll always use the new NXT, I'm hooked on that stuff...BIG TIME

"THEE" Roger R USMondeo@aol.com 2005 Crossfire Limited coupe' -FOR SALE @buyout price & I'll... -throw in my 93' Regal as winter car *Dragon Run 06'...Oct 12-15th* Puur-fection Auto Detailing Complete packages from $140.00
M
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
M
Hey thejms what branch of the service are you in.

Sadly my sister got my contour because I left for college, but now I am in the market for a SVT
T
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by Mr. T:

USAF

E
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
E
Originally posted by thejms:

USAF

As if there was another branch to consider. Best treatment, best perks, fastest planes...

2000 CSVT Silver Frost: #942 of 2150 HID Projectors and Fog Light Mod, Optomized TB, MSDS headers 2003 Silverstone Z
K
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
K
Thank you for your service to our country Justin

"THEE" Roger R USMondeo@aol.com 2005 Crossfire Limited coupe' -FOR SALE @buyout price & I'll... -throw in my 93' Regal as winter car *Dragon Run 06'...Oct 12-15th* Puur-fection Auto Detailing Complete packages from $140.00
R
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
R
Great, thanks for the tips!

M
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
M
My roommate is in the AF and me being in the navy we have our fun arguments

Sadly my sister got my contour because I left for college, but now I am in the market for a SVT
T
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by The Striped SVT:
Thank you for your service to our country Justin

6 years and runnning

My roommate is in the AF and me being in the navy we have our fun arguments

LOL my father-in-law was prior navy so I know just what you mean

Page 1 of 2 1 2