Next Thread
Print Thread
S
sfsvt Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
S
I was on the freeway and downshifted into 3rd (after this stupid sob changed lanes w/o signal)to pick-up some power, and when I tried to shift to 4th nothing happened! I'm on the gas and just getting high revs! I tried again, it feels normal(the shifting) but nothing is engaging. After I coast to the bottom of an exit, I try shifting and there is no engagement in any gear. I hear this sound, kind of light and foil-ly when I begin to release the clutch, in full release just that sound nothing else. Had it towed home, and will tow to a shop later. Can anyone tell me what this sounds like? I don't want to be an idiot walking into a shop and get reamed. Someone mentioned to me it could be linkage? and not clutch? How do I tow my car into a shop and not get taken advantage of? Any tips?

BLK 2K 'TOUR #1370 74k Mods: K&N Alpine Sound/Speakers more someday
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
I just did a clutch replacement on mine so the underside of the Contour is one I won't soon forget. You can see the shift linkage from above right below the master cylinder, or from behind the front-left strut. There are two cables, one for the up-down motion, and one for the left-right motion. See if they are still connected. I'm thinking most likely the up down motion (the lower of the two cables, attached to a counterweight). If they are, have someone else move the stick and see if the cables move. If they do, it's internal. If they don't, check under the shifter. Worst case scenario is a bad clutch/pressure plate/transmission. But this rattling sound sounds like it may be a pressure plate chattering. Either way, hopefully its not the latter. If you are handy, you can do a clutch yourself for about $500 (parts, and engine hoist rental). If you need some advice, drop me a line. Hope this helps!
Sean

'99 Silver SVT Contour (2000 miles since June, now needs new front brakes and bearings) '98 CBR900RR Again (Put away for the winter)
S
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
I did my clutch for about 380 total, 280 parts from Bill Jenkins (stock SVT clutch, pp and tob) and maybe a 100 in misc other stuff (rear main seal, misc nuts and bolts, new tie rod end, locktite, brake cleaner, small propane torch, brake fluid, ps fluid...)

I took mine out from underneath so had no need for a hoist.

97 Contour SE MTX K&N 3530, UR UDP, 19# Injectors, mystery mod, FMS wires, Fordchip.com chip, SVT: TB, Flywheel, clutch, exhaust 04 Grand Caravan SXT

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard