Page 1 of 2 1 2
#917429 04/02/04 02:48 PM
C
coatsy Offline OP
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
C
So last week I get the starter replaced in my car as the mechanic figured that was what caused the grinding noise, (sounds like when you start the car when its already running) So I go out this morning for work and it makes the same noise.. Didn't think it was going to start at all today, so I conclude it has to be the fly wheel. Anyone know how to change the fly wheel?? Is it something I can do in my garage? The dealer wants $750 to change it.

1999 Mystique Sport 2nd owner bought it in Sept 03
120000km 4 door, leather, loaded pics on cardomain, coatsy
#917430 04/02/04 03:01 PM
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
If you went to the mechanic to troubleshoot the grinding noise--and he falsely diagnosed it as the starter--then the labor should be on him. If he's a reputable mechanic and you feel comfortable with him still wrenching on your car he should be able to work a good deal for a proper fix.

-- 1999 SVT #220 -- In retrospect, it was all downhill from here. RIP, CEG.
#917431 04/02/04 03:53 PM
A
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
A
You are scaring me because my starter was doing the same thing, its been almost 2 weeks since it made the grinding noise. I have a new starter but I got no time to install it and the car is still starting with no problems, but eventually I have to replace it before Iā??m stranded in the middle of nowhere.
Now before I take the starter out how do I diagnose for a bad flywheel, because if itā??s the flywheel Iā??ll have to take it to a mechanic.
*edit* forgot to mention that i only have 22k miles on my fidanza flywheel, clutch, and release bearing.

Last edited by abwamo; 04/02/04 04:27 PM.

95 SE MTX DH UIM, 65mm TB, SC CAI, Quaife, Centerforce, Fidanza, UR Pulley, F/R Strut Braces, Cross Drilled Rotors, S.S. Brake Hoses, 18" Enkei RS5, SVT Engine Mounts+Inserts, MSDS & y-pipe, Trubendz resonated exhaust & MagnaFlow cat
#917432 04/02/04 08:58 PM
A
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
A
I had the same problem on my 2000 2.5 atx, had 24k miles on it and when strated it would not catch sometimes. Took it to the dealer and they replaced both the strated and flywheel. It sounded like a bit of when it came to replacing the flywheel. Luckily mine was done under warranty.

Good luck.

There is a TSB for this exact problem somewhere.

#917433 04/02/04 10:23 PM
S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
I am experiencing this exact problem in my 96. It only happens once in a blue moon though. Sure wakes you up when it happens .

99 CSVT Green/Tan # 84 of 2760 Built on Wednesday, September 30, 1998 15.376 @ 92.00 MPH Stock 75,000Km 96 Contour GL 2.5L V6 ATX 170,000Km
#917434 04/03/04 02:30 AM
B
CEG'er
CEG'er
B
I am in the middle of rebuilding my engine and I am replacing the flywheel since some of the teeth are worn even though I never had a problem. I am also have the starter rebuilt.

An ounce of prevention provides a pound of cure!
#917435 04/05/04 11:09 PM
C
coatsy Offline OP
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
C
Dropped the car off at the garage today. The owner tells me he is about 80% sure that its a starter problem, I was like Huh, I bought the car in Sept. about a month after it made the noise, within 3 months it was doing it regularly, and in the last month had almost left me stranded a few times, so I go to a mechanic friend that works on the side and he suggested it would be the starter, so I get one and he puts it in.. It works great for a week and then all of a sudden the same noise, then it happened more and more, SO I am surprised to say the least that this new mechanic thinks its the starter when both starters are doing the same thing.. I tell him this, he now says it might be the solinoid, again I say on both staarters?????? Bottom line was this, I went there fairly convinced that it was the fly wheel, when I bought the car it came with a 12 month power train warranty, which will cover the fly wheel if it is indeed this.. I can't see it being two starters? Anyone have any thoughts on this? What would you do??

#917436 04/06/04 03:04 AM
D
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
D
remove the starter and look into the cavity where the starter meets the flywheel and look for missing teeth in the flywheel... they are probably in there someplace(the missing teeth from the flywheel, look for missing area on the outiside of the flywheel.... then you have proof that the flywheel is bad... i had this years ago with a 66 mustang...i would just put another starter in it as you could drive up to a parts place, open hood and lean over and remove two bolts and one nut for the wire on the starter, bring it into the store and swap it out for $20.00.
i would last about 3-4 months.. then i learned that the starter drivew could be replaced.. they cost about $8.00 at the time...... worked great to let me use the car and then i rebuilt the engine and bought a new flywheel for $25.00 from a ford dealer(this was back in 1973).....

#917437 04/06/04 01:37 PM
T
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by coatsy:
Dropped the car off at the garage today. The owner tells me he is about 80% sure that its a starter problem, I was like Huh, I bought the car in Sept. about a month after it made the noise, within 3 months it was doing it regularly, and in the last month had almost left me stranded a few times, so I go to a mechanic friend that works on the side and he suggested it would be the starter, so I get one and he puts it in.. It works great for a week and then all of a sudden the same noise, then it happened more and more, SO I am surprised to say the least that this new mechanic thinks its the starter when both starters are doing the same thing.. I tell him this, he now says it might be the solinoid, again I say on both staarters?????? Bottom line was this, I went there fairly convinced that it was the fly wheel, when I bought the car it came with a 12 month power train warranty, which will cover the fly wheel if it is indeed this.. I can't see it being two starters? Anyone have any thoughts on this? What would you do??

Don't say I did'nt tell ya so...you posted about this problem before, and I said I would bet you dollars to donunts thats what your problem was. He's trying to get out of doing the job!!! Demand that the flywheel is inspected and now...you may even have to replace the gear again on the end of the starter. Ford has a supceded part number for the new flywheel because they are aware of the problem. If he tries to tell you anything differant than he's trying to avoid the job. Its quite a bit of work...tranny has to come out to replace the flywheel. PS> I TOLD YOU SO !!!!

#917438 04/06/04 04:31 PM
C
coatsy Offline OP
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
C
Well haven't heard from him yet. Tas, I remembered someone emailing me about the similar problem they had like this I forgot who it was and the email was deleted. I would love to have it now. I could use it now..

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard