Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
B
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
B
I dont know how much of a problem this is but it is bugging the heck out of me. also i would rather talk to you guys first before going to the shop and having to pay to find out what is wrong. a little while ago my engine started making this massive rattling noise upon start up and yesterday while i was in the drive it started rattling after about 5 minutes. if this helps i did a tune up on the engine (2.5L) about 18 months ago. and starting in may i am going to do an upper intake cleaning ,buying a intake and doing antoher tune up with bosch sparkplugs and ford racing wires. (what size would be good and what type of sparkplug also. any help is appreciated.

Thanks Bryan

C
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
C

Hey there Brian,
if you could, please explain where in the engine bay the rattling sound is coming from and be more specific on the type of rattling sound. Does it die down after driving or only during startup (except for the >5 min occasion). Take a look at old forum postings that also relate to 'engine rattling' noises.

Thanks,
Chris

B
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
B
The Rattling only happens when i start the car up and it mainly happens when the car engine is cold. the noise sounds like it is coming from the main engine like where the u.i.m. is. the engine runs great and everything also its just embarrasing to start your car up and people ask what that noise is. oh and i searched for engine rattling noises and came up with nothing.

B
Learned patience the hard way
B
Sounds like you could have some valve train noise or possible the old problem of the timing chain tensioner not retaining pressure and causing a rattle on startup. Can you give us some more specs on the car for mileage and age, plus oil you're using.

Rick

Owner of 00 #1611 Silver (Totalled) 98.5 T-Red SVT #6180 Buckshot77@msn.com Misc 3L parts for sale
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
Sure sounds like the camchain rattle problem: briefly, the camchain tensioners (on the early 2.5's) use oil pressure to provide tension. When engine hasn't run for a few hours the oil leaks out of the tensioners = loose camchains until oil press climbs on startup. Most manuals say don't worry but I agree it's not a good sound for an otherwise smooth engine! New (updated) tensioners are available (not cheap) and fairly major job to install. -include it in Ur LIM cleanup plans! U need all new gaskets anyway!
In the meantime, make sure Ur oil is good quality and topped up and use the Ford oil filters; the anti-leakback valve in most aftermarket filters doesn't "hold" against leakdown as well as the Ford ones.
(I've got new tensioners for my 2.5 with 204,000 Km - t/b installed as soon as the weather warms up a bit!)
Good Luck!

B
CEG'er
CEG'er
B
I just priced these revised tensioners from Ford and they want 95 dollars each....Does this sound right?

An ounce of prevention provides a pound of cure!
B
B
F6DZ-6L266-BA Tensioner 40.49ea You need 2 of them, maybe this is what they priced you.

Rick

Owner of 00 #1611 Silver (Totalled) 98.5 T-Red SVT #6180 Buckshot77@msn.com Misc 3L parts for sale
B
CEG'er
CEG'er
B
Buckshot,

For the 95 3.5l there is a kit out that is supposed to update the timing components to 96 to stop the clattering problem when you first start the engine. I show that the tensioners have an adapter plate that is used with them.

I have part numbers:

F5RZ-6L266-CA TENSIONER
F5RZ-6C275-BA TENSIONER ADAPTER

Has this been supersceded? I check the numbers of the rest of the components in this kit and they match the part numbers for timing chain, guide, etc. for 96 model year. There is a note that these special tensioners must be used with adapter plates when using with 96 components -- has this changed.

Thanks,
Bob

An ounce of prevention provides a pound of cure!
B
B
Ahh, I forget you're working on a 95. I'm not personally aware of the change, but if it's listed, then I'd probably follow along with it. You should still be able to get 25% off list at Signature Lincoln

Rick

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard