Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
M
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
M
I'm having problems with the automatic adjuster on my emergency brakes. It's a 1998 Tour SE with disc brakes all around. Pulling up on the lever repeatedly (as suggested in other threads) does not do anything to increase the gripping power of the rear brakes. Where is the automatic adjustment mechanism located? At the rear brakes? By the parking brake lever? What do I need to do to get my emergency brake to work again?

I replaced the brake cables about 4 months ago after my rear brakes seized due to freezing when the brake was applied. Just thought I'd throw this in if it may have some effect.

I need to get this fixed this week, while I'm on spring break, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jake

H
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
H
Adjuster located at base of handbrake lever, requires console removal to inspect and/or replace. Normal operation, handbrake should hold car parked on hill with 5-7 clicks. Purpose of adjuster is solely to eliminate slack in cables. Adjustment for pad wear handled by caliper.

98 Mystique LS v6 atx 163,000km 97 Contour LX v6 atx 163,000km
J
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
J
I had a similar problem. When I removed the centre console the ebrake cable had slipped out of it's grove and bent the holding tab into the automatic adjuster not allowing it to function.

D
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
D
i'm not sure which tab you mean, but my cable slipped out too. do i need to replace the handle assembly? I can't seem to find what's holding the adj. gear from moving.

Un-Official NE-CEG "I'm the only person I know who likes Contours"-er. Occifer, I'm drunking I really think! -98 SE Sport w/ audio and repairs. -E-Mail> imprettymuchaloser@yahoo.com -AIM> IDriveA911
R
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
R
Devon, did you ever get this resolved? if so, what did you have to do?

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard