Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
M
I wonder if even rara has the gumption to conjure up enough willpower to go over this again. If this guy's for real (which I doubt), maybe we should just let Darwinism run its natural course.

Pacific Green '96 Contour LX V6 ??98 GTP, light mods, 14.66/94 Calypso Green '92 Mustang LX coupe, 13.56/101 Crown Autocross Club 1999 Street Tire Champion, 2000/2001/2002 Street Modified Champion KCR SCCA 2002 Solo II Street Modified Champion
B
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
B
Originally posted by SVT Barge:
OEM = Original Equipment Manufacturer in this case.. Ford

SVT Barge,
Is it true Rara works for Fords? Maybe he told you. If it's true, then he might be a good person to help with braking questions. Actually, my cousin used to work for Fords up at the tractor plant. I could ask him about brakes, but I don't think the Mystique has much in common to a Ford 601 tractor! Ha ha!

I was looking at the other posts in Braking section, including the ones that have the little red push pin next to them. Not sure what the pin is for, but there is a thread with Silversnake talking about slotting rotors and drilled hole rotors. Those guys seem to have conflicting information and opinion. Very strange!

My idea was originally formed the last time I went up to St. Louis. No joke, I actually saw a big Mercedes Bends 4-door with a flat tire at a restaraunt. They were changing the tire, and I saw the brake rotors had drilled holes! I couldn't believe it. The lady who owned the car was standing there and I asked if she installed racing brakes. She said she "didn't know nothin' about no damm brakes" as the poor valet guy was changing her tire. Anyway, I suspect it came this way from the factory.

Is it true? If you only need drilling holes for racing or autocross, then why does Mercedes Bends sedan have them? Seriously! I bet that car doesn't have soft pedal! Heck, it probably cost over $40000 dollars!

What do you guys think? Maybe Rara can also reply.

Bud Miller

** No mistake, it's a Mystique **

S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
Yes, Rara works for Ford Motor Company as a Design and Release Engineer in the Brake Department. I used to work in the same department. I now work for Brembo Brake Systems (you may have heard of us, we have a small reputation ). Mercedes does not use cross-drilled rotors as an OEM part. I know, because we make them.

As Rara said, there are times when x-drilled rotors make sense. In those cases, the parts are designed with the holes in mind. Taking worn out stock Mystique rotors and drilling them yourself is at very best, a terrible idea. If you want to know more, please search and read the number of posts that Rara, myself and MFE have covered this topic. I don't have it in me to do it again today.

-Todd

Very few of life's problems can not be solved with the reasonable application of more horsepower!
R
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
R
Bud, noticed you have a CF hood for your 96 mystique. Where'd you get it?

D
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
D
Furthermore, drilling your stock rotors will only perpetuate metal fatigue. You will develop stress cracks where you drilled. Real ??cross drilled? rotors are not drilled at all. They are mostly cast with the holes in them to avoid dangerous problems. Most race teams that have cross drilled rotors throw them away after one race plus they have them cryogenically treated to avoid warping at those glowing red temps. In short modifying your stock rotor in any way is a bad idea. You won??t be able in a stock diameter rotor to remove enough un-sprung weight to do any good.

S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
Originally posted by DESIGN:
Real ??cross drilled? rotors are not drilled at all. They are mostly cast with the holes in them to avoid dangerous problems.

Not true. They are indeed drilled,they are just designed properly, and machined properly.

Very few of life's problems can not be solved with the reasonable application of more horsepower!
B
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
B
Originally posted by rkneeshaw:

Kneeshaw,
Yeah, that's maybe the best part on my Mystique. My previous car was a Ford Probe, which wasn't such a great car to be honest. But what a looker! I loved the styling of that car. One of my favorite design elements was the twin power-bulges on the hood. Subtle, but still conveying a sense of tension and reach. So I wanted to add them on my Mystique hood.

So CF stands for custom fabrication. I removed the mystique hood and used good old-fashioned lumber and hammer technique to make new power bulges. Getting them totally symmetric was quite the trick. Only very close inspection shows difference. Some crazing in the paint was easy to fix with touchup and wet sand.

It's pretty cool, and super unique for such a car. Nobody else has this on a Contour or Mystique.

Bud Miller

T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
Originally posted by Bud Miller:
Originally posted by rkneeshaw:

So CF stands for custom fabrication. I removed the mystique hood and used good old-fashioned lumber and hammer technique to make new power bulges.

Umm he wants to know if it's Carbon Fiber. Custom fabrication..good lord

06 GMC Sierra 2500HD Dmax/ally 06 Pontiac G6 GT 05 CRF250R FOR SALE 06 KX65 with riding gear $2700 obo
B
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
B
Originally posted by Thinkmoto:
Umm he wants to know if it's Carbon Fiber

Sorry Thinkmotor, I guess I didn't understand the question. Kinda hard when he doesn't E-L-A-B-O-R-A-T-E. Anyway, I don't know anything about carbon fiber. What's that?

Bud Miller

=> No mistake, it's a Mystique <=

M
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
M
Humidity holes in the brakes? What company is OEM? What's Carbon Fiber? JVC Auto-reverse tape deck listed as a mod?

April Fools is April 1. Contain yourself til then, the jokes will go over much better.

Pacific Green '96 Contour LX V6 ??98 GTP, light mods, 14.66/94 Calypso Green '92 Mustang LX coupe, 13.56/101 Crown Autocross Club 1999 Street Tire Champion, 2000/2001/2002 Street Modified Champion KCR SCCA 2002 Solo II Street Modified Champion
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Andy W._dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard