Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
B
Hi Guys!
First off, I really love this site! It is my home page. First thing I read whenever I log on.

I've noticed lately that my brakes are feeling a little spongey in the mighty Mystique. Not sure if it has anything to do with the humidity that is starting to creep up here in Missouri. My idea is to drill some humidity holes in my front brake rotors.

I know, I know, it's not just for humidity. Some people think the benefit is for the whizzing noise they make when you stop really hard. Others like the way gas is disippated when pads push down and get hot (also makes whizzing noise! Ha ha!)

My theory is that higher humidity causes transpiration of water vapor collecting on hot rotors. I know they get hot from watching Sebring race last weekend. It was great to see red hot glowing rotors! With higher humidity, it just causes moisture to stick like crazy, which causes friction to decrease.

My rotors are a little old anyway, so I figure it's a good way to dress them up. At our shop, we have a mill with indexing head that I can mount rotor to. I figure it's easy to drill the holes, then install and I'm good to go. Any of you guys ever do this? How about spray painting? I think I'm gonna have time later this week to get started.

See you guys later!

Bud Miller

** No mistake, it's a Mystique**

R
"Absolut Rara."
"Absolut Rara."
R
Don't do it.

Did I mention I design brake systems for an OEM?

Balance is the Key. rarasvt@comcast.net
E
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
E
Originally posted by Rara:
Don't do it.

You were way too nice

** Mike ** "You might beat me in a straight line, but I'll embarass you in the turns"
H
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
H
I say go for it. As Lotus's legendary Colin Chapman said, 'add more lightness'. I don't see how adding some lightness to your rotors could hurt. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

-Harden Thomas
"Promulgate obfuscation"

R
"Absolut Rara."
"Absolut Rara."
R
Originally posted by EuroTour99:
Don't do it.

You were way too nice

Two reasons:

1. I'm sick of arguing this topic. There are times that cross-drilling rotors makes sense; this most surely isn't one of those times by any remote stretch of the imagination.

2. I have a hard time believing the original post is serious.

Balance is the Key. rarasvt@comcast.net
T
I have no life
I have no life
T
It's not April Fools yet. You're too early.

-'96 SE MTX 3L -'98 SVT 1,173 of 6,535 -'05 Mazda 6s, loaded, g/f's ride -Need a 96-00 manual on CD? PM or email me
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R

Function before fashion. '96 Contour SE "Toss the Contour into a corner, and it's as easy to catch as a softball thrown by a preschooler." -Edmunds, 1998
B
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
B
1. I'm sick of arguing this topic. There are times that cross-drilling rotors makes sense; this most surely isn't one of those times by any remote stretch of the imagination.

Hi Rara
I haven't read any of the prior posts in the brake section. Sorry! Don't know about earlier arguments. Probably people more focused on looks than performance.

So you design brake systems for an OEM? Is that some kind of earth mover? I never heard of an OEM before. Maybe it's a military acronym. You could tell me but you'd have to kill me! Ha ha!

Maybe OEMs don't have drilled hole rotors. Sorry I don't know. Please describe why you say doesn't make sense. From what I've read about brake theory, it seems completely reasonable to prevent soft pedal.

You know, I was relly enjoying contour.org, but why you don't think i'm serious? Just because I'm do-it-yourselfer? Some people aren't just able to pick up and buy expensive boutique parts at will.

Anyway, don't take my words too seriously. I love my Mystique, and want to improve it in good, honest way. Please tell me your advice whether OEM braking experience can apply.

Bud Miller

** No mistake, it's a Mystique **

B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
OEM = Original Equipment Manufacturer

in this case.. Ford

04 Subaru WRX "Eurosport bling bling fast and furious tokyo drift" "They have diarrhea of the mouth, and constipation of thought"
L
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
L
keep it coming man keep it coming

NEED AN SVT REAR BUMPER!!! pm me
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Andy W._dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard