Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
B
i sold my grand cherokee first of this week, and the miata will be going on autotrader next week if all goes as planned - because i'm buying a 2004 infiniti G35 coupe (6mt, aero, premium - diamond graphite/graphite) that's due in on ±4/5/04.

meanwhile, i have two mountain bikes and a road bike that i'm going to have to figure out how to cart around now that i no longer have an SUV. i won't be putting a roof rack on the G35c, partially b/c i don't want to spoil the lines of the car but also because there aren't any roof-rack options out there. there also aren't any "hidden hitch" applications that would allow me to put a hitch receiver rack on there, and i hate trunk racks b/c of the scratches they can cause as well as their relative instability.

so, i'm looking at trying to find a cheap utility vehicle to cart my bikes around and run to home depot in and that sort of thing. if i knew i could get my 62 chevy truck running and roadworthy for under $3k, i'd do that in a heartbeat - but the simple fact of that matter is that $3k may just be a drop in the bucket, so i'm going to hold off on that project.

i would prefer 4wd, just b/c it would be nice to have after having owned a 4wd grand cherokee for a while. i could take it offroad occasionally (and yes, i did wheel my JGC a few times in moderation), and plus it would be nice to have for the once-every-10-years snow "event" that we might get down here in the south.

my budget is "as cheap as possible" to get something fairly reliable and not a piece of crap...but to put a figure on it, probably somewhere in the $2500 range.

any suggestions? my first impulse is an '88-92 jeep cherokee laredo 4x4....they'll last till over 200k if maintained, and the cloth interior in the laredo is very durable and looks good even well into 6-figure mileage. plus, i'm biased toward jeeps anyway. downside: they're getting kinda hard to find in decent shape, especially in my price range, though it's certainly not impossible.

2nd choice would be something like a CJ or old wrangler, just b/c of the topless factor - i'll miss that part of miata ownership. i could get a small hitch on it and a utility trailer for those time i need to make a home depot run. downside: most of 'em are bottoming out price-wise around double my budget.

3rd option might be an older toyota 4x4 pickup, though i don't know much about them....or how much they'd run me.

anything else that i could consider?

blake --former CSVT owner-- MINE: 2002 jeep grand cherokee limited 4x4 - stone white/taupe HERS: 2005 acura TL 5AT non-navi - satin silver/quartz GARAGE ORNAMENT: 1962 chevy C10 fleetside pickup - tan/rust
N
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
N
Yeah, one not too old Cherokee with the straight 6 should do you fine.

"Fear is the little death." Muadib.
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Originally posted by blake:
3rd option might be an older toyota 4x4 pickup, though i don't know much about them....or how much they'd run me.

Didn't you see that vid from Top Gear where they tried to destroy a Toyota?

Spent wisely, $3k on the '62 will get you further than you think.

-- 1999 SVT #220 -- In retrospect, it was all downhill from here. RIP, CEG.
B
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
B
Originally posted by bigMoneyRacing:
Spent wisely, $3k on the '62 will get you further than you think.

perhaps you're right.....but i'm a little hesitant to go that route and end up only halfway to roadworthiness after going through the entire $3k.

i figure i'd have to, at the very least, pull apart the stock I-6, de-sludge/de-gunk it and replace the gaskets and seals; fix/replace the sloppy steering rack; replace the clutch; replace the master cylinder and all brake lines; possibly replace fuel lines; replace all tires, door seals/weatherstripping, battery, mirrors, etc...and then there's the rust issue w/ the bottom of the doors and the floor pan on the driver's side that would need to get taken care of. that doesn't even get into any miscellaneous body work or repainting or interior reupholstery or updating.... maybe i'm just a pessimist, but that sounds like a whole lot more than $3k to me.

blake --former CSVT owner-- MINE: 2002 jeep grand cherokee limited 4x4 - stone white/taupe HERS: 2005 acura TL 5AT non-navi - satin silver/quartz GARAGE ORNAMENT: 1962 chevy C10 fleetside pickup - tan/rust
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
who said a utility vehicle needed to look purty?

This thread seems to be generating a typical new-age-CEG response, eg. nothing. I think you need to throw in wildcard options like neons, yellow seats, chrome 19's, bodykit, twin turbo, and the all-time classic 'will a SHO V8 fit?'

A
b0x @dm1n
b0x @dm1n
A
Old Nissna Pathfinder or Hardbody Pickup! Cheap parts a plenty. The 4cly moves ok and get great gas milage.

-Andy

Andy W. The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Speaking of Nissans, what was that Hardbody model that came out in ~1990 in the red/white/blue paint scheme? It looked the shiz for the day...

T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
Originally posted by bigMoneyRacing:
who said a utility vehicle needed to look purty?

This thread seems to be generating a typical new-age-CEG response, eg. nothing. I think you need to throw in wildcard options like neons, yellow seats, chrome 19's, bodykit, twin turbo, and the all-time classic 'will a SHO V8 fit?'

OK, back to useful posts. Would you consider a Ford Ranger extended cab? The 1.8 4 banger in the 1990 model I drove for near 200k miles was running like new when the business was sold. The darn truck hauled hundreds of pounds of equipment & a topper every day of its existance, & it still looked pretty good, had zero rust at sale time. I'd have driven it for another 200k if I could have kept it.

I only recall maintenance items with it (battery, brake pads, plugs, wires, filters), never a breakdown.

Must be that jumbly-wumbly thing happening again.
J
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
J
I'm giving the G35 about 6 months until it is sold.

Blake, you go through cars quicker than people go through cell phones!

I certainly won't argue the choice of car though. Tasty.

-J

'98 4Runner
B
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
B
Originally posted by JVT:
I'm giving the G35 about 6 months until it is sold.

Blake, you go through cars quicker than people go through cell phones!

I certainly won't argue the choice of car though. Tasty.

-J

heh heh. well, i'm trying to mend my ways....the last 2 1/2 years have set a poor track record for vehicle ownership, but my goal w/ the G is to keep it for *at least* 3 years (and that's simply being reasonable - i'd like to think i'll be happy with it longer than that, but knowing me....probably not. ). i had the CSVT for 3+ years, then the RSX for 13 months, the jeep for 15 months, and now the miata for 7 months. ouch.

i've decided i really want a car under warranty, and i thought about just replacing the jeep w/ a 6s or something...but ultimately i knew i'd be itching for a 3-series or G35c or whatever in a year or so, and it was best to avoid the "intermediate" step altogether.

i'm looking forward to seeing how the G will handle deal's gap....

btw, i'm only on my 2nd cell phone in several years....i change cars more often than *i* change cell phones! too funny.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard