Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#897188 03/11/04 06:48 AM
F
FordFan Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
F
Hello i just got a 1998 contour v6 with only 56,000 miles on it, its the automatic, and i dont know why the gov wont let me go faster than 90 MPH! what do u think its the problem, cause that sucks.

2000 Contour LX ATX 94,000 Kilometers (58,000 miles)
B
Redneck Troll
Redneck Troll
B
While it is unusual for me to hear that it cuts you off at only 90 MPH (Usually Contours cut out at an indicated 110-114), it is not unusual to have an electronic top speed limiter on any vehicle. Get a chip from Superchips, Diablo chip, etc. and that will allow you to travel as fast as your engine will let you go.

Of course, do not ever travel this fast on a public highway...

http://www.bnmotorsports.com "And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my CEG brothers. And you will know I am the Moderator when I lay my vengeance upon you."
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
If you're topping out at 90, you may have other problems.

Fuel pump, pre-cats, secondaries all come to mind right off the bat.

Must be that jumbly-wumbly thing happening again.
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Originally posted by TourDeForce:
If you're topping out at 90, you may have other problems.

Fuel pump, pre-cats, secondaries all come to mind right off the bat.

Also plugged fuel filter and worn spark plugs come to mind as posibiliteis.

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited
A
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
A
Does a superchip or diablo chip actually raise the limiter and the gov? Because i just got one and i still top out at 110 and then the gov lets off the gas. And my rev limiter still kicks in at 4000.

1998 Contour SE Mods so far: Air Intake Custom Catback Exhaust Enkei 16x7 Rims Covered by Barum Tires (Sadly the only thing I don't like about my car is that it has an Auto Trany.) Diablo Chip Future Mods: Custom Headers Paint Job
N
N
Im also trying to figure that out. I've been doing as much reading as I can that and debating which chip to go with. I fill the Diablo chip would be the better of the chips due to ease of use and reputation. But the Superchips has the Flip-Chip. I really hav'nt heard about anyone on the street pushing over the govern'd speed limit of the 'tour.

'98 SVT polished MAF K&N Filter Soon to be ported and polished heads
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
Originally posted by nick v:
I really hav'nt heard about anyone on the street pushing over the govern'd speed limit of the 'tour.

Keep reading & searching. I have personally revved to over 7k with my car more than once, & I have repeatedly driven my car to over 125 mph in a short straightaway on the track with no signs of topping out or hitting a limit. One respected CEGer here has taken his revs to over 8k repeatedly.

Must be that jumbly-wumbly thing happening again.
C
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
With some chips you have to ask the programmer to remove the limiter.

Were you doing 90? Maybe the speedo is off. If someone removed the needle, maybe it was put on wrong. Maybe the needle is sticking? The speedo's on our cars are not that accurate in the three figure range, but 90 max is unusual.

Have someone ride behing you at the speed limit and see if your speedo is at least right at 65 mph.

Finally, ninety is pretty fast anyway. Unless you are racing at the track, the limiter will keep you from getting to far over your head. If the car runs well otherwise, I wouldn'y worry about it unless the speedo is wrong and causes you to get speeding tickets.

My name is Richard. I was a Contouraholic. NOW: '02 Mazda B3000 Dual Sport, Black BEFORE: '99 Contour SE Sport Duratec ATX Spruce Green PIAA 510's, Foglight MOD, K&N Drop-in
R
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
R
The Superchip will remove the limiter on MOST codes, but not all of them. I personally have ran my ATX V6 w/ my custom programmed Superchip to 131.26 (accurate via GPS) on a closed track. Chipped MTX's should be able to reach 135 or possibly a bit more.

02 Nissan Altima 3.5 SE, FULLY LOADED Old car- 99 SE Sport ATX w/ SVT body kit (for sale...asking $4,200 OBO), nicely modded, high-flow exhaust y-pipe back and KKM. 95K, but 95% are interstate highway miles back and forth to college everyday.
Z
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
Z
Originally posted by FordFan:
Hello i just got a 1998 contour v6 with only 56,000 miles on it, its the automatic, and i dont know why the gov wont let me go faster than 90 MPH! what do u think its the problem, cause that sucks.

You very well could have another problem. Does the car seem to cut out suddenly? Is there increased resistance in the gas pedal? Does it feel like you're car is governed, or does it feel like it doesn't have enough power to get over 90?

- Zack WANTED: T-Red HEATED Side Mirrors FOR SALE: 4 14" Alum Alloys and Nearly New Avid H4s Tires w/ Center Caps 2000 T-Red SVT 1995 LX V6 MTX (RIP)
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard