Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
B
Alright guys, a little update on 'project CEL'. Here's what I replaced/cleaned yesterday:

LIM Gasket
Cleaned LIM
UIM gasket
Cleaned UIM
T/B Gasket
Cleaned T/B
EGR Gasket
IAC Gasket
Cleaned IAC
PCV Valve - new
EGR Vacuum Line - found split in it
Main Vacuum line off top of UIM - found crack in it
Front PCV hose
Rear PCV hose

Observations:
Car runs absolutely amazing now. SMOOTH as silk. Great idle, secondaries come in seamlessly, great pull, increased throttle response, hard brake pedal went away, no more stuttering.

However... even after all this the freakin' check engine light came back on... with the same 'lean bank 1/lean bank 2' codes. Well... at least now I have a smooth running car, and i know what is NOT the problem. No big deal... so, I figure it's 1 of 2 things... gotta be the MAF or the o2's. I still just find it highly unlikely that both o2's go out at the same time... so, I tried UNPLUGGING THE MAF. I unplugged it, and the car ran exactly the same way. I drove it 20 miles with it unhooked - and it ran exactly the same. This tells me that the MAF is the problem. The car shouldn't run correctly with it unplugged. The computer seems to be compensating for it not being there. So, I would think that is the problem? Anyone else think that is strange?

99 T-Red SVT ***Intrax, Bilsteins, Azenis, Offroad Y, CAI, Tint, Magnaflow Exhaust, Custom Grilles, Poly Mounts, Silverstar Bulbs, 100W Ion Fogs, Focus SVT Wheels, SHO UDP, Ford Racing Wires ***
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
Frustrating huh Bob? Ur car will run (and pretty good compared to what U had before!) with the MAF disconnected -PCM goes to best-guess mode. Could be that running as bad as it did for a few weeks crapped up the O2 sensors. Before U blow Ur cash on new sensors/cats or anything, try putting a can of one of those cleaners like CRC's "guaranteed to pass" thru it, reset the codes and check again, -may be able to clean up the O2 sensors / cats now that everything else is ticking.

B
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
B
Originally posted by 95MystiqueLS:
Frustrating huh Bob? Ur car will run (and pretty good compared to what U had before!) with the MAF disconnected -PCM goes to best-guess mode. Could be that running as bad as it did for a few weeks crapped up the O2 sensors. Before U blow Ur cash on new sensors/cats or anything, try putting a can of one of those cleaners like CRC's "guaranteed to pass" thru it, reset the codes and check again, -may be able to clean up the O2 sensors / cats now that everything else is ticking.

That is a good idea, but one that I already tried. When I cleaned the upper/lower intake manifolds and got everything back together, I injected some of the carb cleaner with the car running to further smooth things out. Reset computer, drove again and light came back on again. I just think that it's odd that the car will run exactly the same with and without the MAF unplugged. Runs fine - but pig rich.

99 T-Red SVT ***Intrax, Bilsteins, Azenis, Offroad Y, CAI, Tint, Magnaflow Exhaust, Custom Grilles, Poly Mounts, Silverstar Bulbs, 100W Ion Fogs, Focus SVT Wheels, SHO UDP, Ford Racing Wires ***
B
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
B
Well guys, turned out to be the 02's after all. However, in the process, I did find 2 vacuum leaks and got all my manifolds nice and clean. Car is up and running like a champ, no more idle probs, no more CEL, no bad gas smell. Hopefully this thing will run well for a while now!!!

M
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
M
I guess an intake rebuild is in order for me.

I have done the TB clean, EGR clean, and DPFE sensor. Both upper o2 sensors and I still have the same problem as you.
I get the code at like 800rpm. Verified by Alex p. Software.

My fuel trim is through the roof. I tried the cleaner spray all over the engine bay and no luck, I can't find a leak any where.

Just a Plain SE. AKA Big Country I maybe path914's B**** now, but wait until he needs his clutch done. We will see WHO is WHO's B**** then!
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Bob,

A little background on running with the MAF unplugged:

With the MAF unplugged, the PCM switches to a limited operation strategy known as "limp-to-the-garage-or-home". Instead of using dynamic inputs for determining A/F ratio, the PCM uses default spark timing and injector timing tables that have been preprogrammed to "get by".

Since these are default values, the engine will run, but not particularly well.

Glad you finally fixed everything. It would have been interesting to see the O2 sensor outputs graphically to see just how they were responding.

Steve

98 Contour SE Sport 2.5 Duratec ATX The wifey's car 89 Taurus SHO - 246K miles 94 SHO ATX - 190K 1997 F-150 5.4L ATX - The Workhorse 150K. ANY THREAD WITH "OMG" or "WTF" ETC IN THE TITLE WILL BE IGNORED!
B
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
B
Yea... I'm aware that the PCM goes to "limp to the garage" (LOL) mode... and thats what was funny... ran EXACTLY the same with/without the MAF. When I plugged the new MAF in, car ran real solid... but still extremely rich. 02 replacement completely made it a new car... I hit the rev limiter yesterday a couple times while rowing through the gears cause it came so much quicker than it had been.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard