Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
Good deal. Enjoy your newer car.

BTW, who cares how much the dealer puts into it or sells it for as long as Ian got a decent deal, which he did. Even if the dealer would put it up for 7K, it won't sell at that price.

A
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
A
Originally posted by RGSOUNDF:
Ya'll r wrong. LOL 8 grand for SE with 67K is way 2 much, but 4,000 is not the price they are gonna re-sell it for - sure, that's their business, they ain't in the non-for-profit sector. However, even 4 grand is not a bad price at all - I would say that it ain't bad even for a private sale with this kind of mileage. Stop looking into all this consumer crap sources that most of the times got nothing to do with reality. SE with 67K - requiring some repairs - even minor ones - would never ever sell on E-bay. Period. Synopsis: Ian got a fair deal. Stealerships are stealerships, nothing to expect from them.

fair deals still suck, I sold my 95 with 100k on it for 3400. excellent condition. and thats 4 years older!

95 SES Sold 99 SE Sport Sold 99 SVT T-Red Tan Interior. K&N, Magnecors, 19' Theorys, And some audio stuff.
M
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
M
That wasn't a bad deal at all considering how cheap used cars are anymore. A few years back when I was shopping for a used car it was very difficult to find anything decent under 9 or 10k.....but now there are great used cars selling for dirt cheap. As far as dealers go, yours actually seems generous.

98 Mystique LS DOB 06/97
R
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
R
Originally posted by auiotour:

fair deals still suck, I sold my 95 with 100k on it for 3400. excellent condition. and thats 4 years older!

You got lucky!
How is it that fair deals suck?

99 Contour Sport SE MTX KKM filter, B&M shifter No res, BAT kit Green car silver hood (because silver is faster)
S
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
Quote:

the car doesnt have 100k on it, nobody even said that, where'd you come up with that, he sold 99 SE Sport mtx with 67k.

Excuse me, I read that as 97K. My bad.

Quote:

So you found a sucker, like I was when I bought my 'Tour. Doesn't mean anyone who sold it for less got ripped off.

There's a certain value in being able to quickly and easily get rid of your car, i.e. trading it in.

Could he have gotten more? Yeah; maybe up to $1000 more as a private seller. But, that's doubtful seeing that it needed work. And even if he had, that means he would have had to list it, show it, finance more on his new car, and hope he could sell his old one for more than the dealership was offering at the time of purchase.

2003 Mazda6s 3.0L MTX Webpage
2004 Mazda3s 2.3L ATX
Z
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
Z
Keep in mind that the rate of depreciation slows a large amount after the first three years. Both cars have taken the main hit, and then it slows down a lot.

What equipment/trim did the 1995 Contour have? I'm curious to price it out...

Brad "Diva": 2004 Mazda 6s 5-door, Volcanic Red Rex: 1988 Mazda RX-7 Vert, Harbor Blue.
A
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
A
Originally posted by svtcarboy:
Keep in mind that the rate of depreciation slows a large amount after the first three years. Both cars have taken the main hit, and then it slows down a lot.

What equipment/trim did the 1995 Contour have? I'm curious to price it out...

I sold it like 6 months ago, how would pricing it out now help. It was, an se, just incase you find something that will price it for 6 months ago.

95 SES Sold 99 SE Sport Sold 99 SVT T-Red Tan Interior. K&N, Magnecors, 19' Theorys, And some audio stuff.
Z
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
Z
I'll just bump the car a year newer... it'll reflect 6 months decently, especially since 6 months ago was still in last model year.

Well, you're in an area that likes Contours... the Regional adjustment difference was +$170 between Florida and Washington.

Making the same assumptions I made in the first case (everything but ABS and traction control)... assuming "clean" condition.

Dealer: $1963
Private Party: $2842
Dealer: $4180

Given the sales channel and geographical location, I think you two did equally well. You got $558 more, he got the necessary repairs which would have eaten his private sale advantage away and then some.

Keep in mind trade-ins reduce the amount of sales tax you need to pay in most states, as you are vendor selling part of the value.

Brad "Diva": 2004 Mazda 6s 5-door, Volcanic Red Rex: 1988 Mazda RX-7 Vert, Harbor Blue.
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
I think that was a very good trade - resale values on used 'tours are crap. Of course, you didn't say what you paid for the Focus - they made money on the total deal, you can be sure of that.

Enjoy the new ride.

Scott

Troll! '99 BMW 328i
I
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
I
I felt that $4000 was a fair trade in, considering that I paid $4000 for the car with 46k on it after the $1500 trade in of my 88 bmw. So, after putting over 21k and seven months of hardcore abuse, I felt that I got a fair deal. With the exception of gas, tires, and the brake job I did on it, I didn't put much into it. The Focus is pretty nice, I like how small and tossable it is. I've always had a soft spot for hatchbacks, my first car was an 89 Integra 3 door. My biggest complaint was that we never saw the mondeo hatchback on our shores. I just like how the hatchback has sport and utility in such a small package.

I traded the car in at Walker Ford in Clearwater, Florida. The Florida used car market is even weirder than most anywhere else with so many cars coming in from the rest of the country.

- Ian in Tampa
02 ZX3 P.Black MTX 23k
fmr owner of a 99 SE Sport T-Red MTX 67k

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard