Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
I
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
I
After seven months and twenty thousand miles with my beloved contour, I am considering replacing it and getting my first new car. I went through an evening of hell trying to get a battery for my contour, followed by dropping it off at the Ford dealer. There really is something wrong when the Ford dealer is cheaper than anyone else in town to replace an alternator. It's even worse when the motorcraft battery is cheaper than any of the third party replacements for the car.

While waiting for my mother to pick me up at the dealer, I went for a walk and looked at a shiny new Focus ZX3. While it's not the colour scheme I wanted (white on graphite or sangria red on grey), it's pretty nice (black on chacoal). The salesman, who is actually a family friend, said he'd hook me up with X-plan to make up for the fact that Ford is the only company that doesn't have that kind of plan with my work. He said that while my car is in for service, it will be appraised. I'm estimating that, given it's mileage (67k), I'll be looking at maybe $2500-$3000 in trade in. The car is $15,700 before discounts and rebates. X plan supposedly shaves off $1000-$1500, then the $2000 rebate, then another $500 for owner loyalty. So, I'll be looking at around $10,000 to finance.

I know this is begging for the repost detectors to see, but how do folks feel about the Focus? Are they better now than the early models? I like how simple and basic it is, though it has those same Ford of Europe touches I've loved from the Contour. Another factor is the 10/100 warranty now offered on them.

- Ian in Tampa
99 SE Sport T-Red MTX 67k (in for repairs)
currently driving mom's 2000 Taurus SE Wagon (3.0L 24v) 50k

Z
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
Z
Well, I'd recommend a leftover 2003 Protege over a ZX3, but the Focus is an excellent small car overall.

Reliability has improved on recent years, according to Consumer Reports surveys. The 2002 model was average after initial years of horrendous problems.

I prefer the Mazda Protege for its classier, sportier, more refined package. With the 3 coming out, leftover 2003 Protege's are greatly reduced in price. Both cars have plenty of room, handle and drive great and have similar power.

If you still prefer the Focus overall, I would recommend spending significant time in the driver's seat before deciding. The Focus has a very unusual, very chairlike driving position that I found painful after a relatively short wheel time. If you like to drive with your legs extended, the Focus is not the car for you.

Brad "Diva": 2004 Mazda 6s 5-door, Volcanic Red Rex: 1988 Mazda RX-7 Vert, Harbor Blue.
P
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
P
I have had them as rentals a few times before and I think they are good cars. Apparently the quality has improved dramatically from the first few years, I wouldn't hesitate to get one if I were in the market for something in that price range. Does the one that you looked at have the 2.3L?

-Pete

"Bros before Hoes" <-- More men need this mentality.
Z
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
Z
I thought the 2.3 litre wasn't coming out until 2005.

Brad "Diva": 2004 Mazda 6s 5-door, Volcanic Red Rex: 1988 Mazda RX-7 Vert, Harbor Blue.
S
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
You can pick up Protege 5's for dirt cheap if you can find a dealer with some in stock.

2003 Mazda6s 3.0L MTX Webpage 2004 Mazda3s 2.3L ATX
D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
James - I've ridden in Qbert's 2.3L ZX3. It was ! Lots of pep, no doubt!

Derek Scion xB 5-spd Previous: 2000 Silver Frost SVT Please share the road with cyclists.
R
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
R
Originally posted by svtcarboy:

If you still prefer the Focus overall, I would recommend spending significant time in the driver's seat before deciding. The Focus has a very unusual, very chairlike driving position that I found painful after a relatively short wheel time. If you like to drive with your legs extended, the Focus is not the car for you.

I agree. I had one for a couple of days as a rental and if you're use to the Contour the Focus seats feel very strange and (for me) uncomfortable and the styling as a whole has failed to win me over.
I won't even drive one in Need For Speed Underground!
To each their own as far as styling goes but you should make sure the seating is to your liking or your azz gonna be unhappy!

99 Contour Sport SE MTX KKM filter, B&M shifter No res, BAT kit Green car silver hood (because silver is faster)
A
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
A
Originally posted by sigma:
You can pick up Protege 5's for dirt cheap if you can find a dealer with some in stock.

if you are a member at costco, they have an extra 1k off for loyalty bonus from costco.. Its only at selected dealers, so they say, but everyone I have been to said they offer it even though costco shows only like 2 dealers in the area. Something to check into, I considered getting a Mazda 6 and was gonna do that.

95 SES Sold 99 SE Sport Sold 99 SVT T-Red Tan Interior. K&N, Magnecors, 19' Theorys, And some audio stuff.

Link Copied to Clipboard