Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
R
Want to go and have some fun, but I'm getting a little scared of the oil starvation issues I've seen here. Would you recommend not going to the track until making the necessary oil pan mods?

The car is a '98 and I've had it since last summer.

Thanks,
Randy

B
Learned patience the hard way
B
The debate is wide open on the whole oiling issue. Personally I feel if it's going to go, it's going to go. The best insurance is to run about 1/2 qt extra in the motor as at continuous high rpms the heads retain a large volume of the oil and leave a low level in the pan.

Enjoy the track event!

Thanks,
Rick

Owner of 00 #1611 Silver (Totalled) 98.5 T-Red SVT #6180 Buckshot77@msn.com Misc 3L parts for sale
S
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
Good luck with the event!

98 Lime Green SE w/SVT Kit, Projectors, CF Hood, 18" Rims, GC's, Shaved, System 98.5 Silver SVT #5737 Black FSVT Rims, MSDS, BAT Drop 85 Toyota PU Lifted 06 GSX R 600 Black/Silver My Rides
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
You should be more worried about the wheels falling off, bring your torque wrench.

98 3.0 svt: Sold
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Originally posted by {Kontofosho}:
You should be more worried about the wheels falling off, bring your torque wrench.

Huh? Is this seriously a problem? I'm doing an open track weekend in May and don't want any unexpected surprises...

The motor I'm not worried about, I'll just keep it up a gear in long right handers and use the awesome torque of the Duratec to power me through LOL

Scott

Troll! '99 BMW 328i
B
B
Not necessarily the wheels, but keep an eye on the axle nut as I've seem them loosen up after some open tracking. Basically prep your front suspension just before you go to the track and take the time during your mid day brake to check over everything again.
A set of hand tools, and spare brake pads are always a good plan to take with you.

Rick

Owner of 00 #1611 Silver (Totalled) 98.5 T-Red SVT #6180 Buckshot77@msn.com Misc 3L parts for sale
R
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
R
Thanks for the heads-up guys.

BTW, I looked over at ShoShop and didn't see their baffle kit anywhere within the Contour info. If I remember, all I saw was the Accusump product listed. Does anyone know if they, or someone else, carries it (the Super G kit)? Would anyone even recommend it?

Thanks Again,
Randy

B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Mirko racing might still sell a baffled pan. The Accusump is good insurance and relatively inexpensive considering the alternative. There are several sources for it besides ShoShop like BAT.

-- 1999 SVT #220 -- In retrospect, it was all downhill from here. RIP, CEG.
E
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
E
Originally posted by Randy Gunn:
Want to go and have some fun.
The car is a '98 and I've had it since last summer.

Thanks,
Randy

Did the car live in an area where they use salt on a regular basis in the winter???? If so, the springs may be suspect and the stress you put on them at the track might be cause for concern.

The only reason I even mention this is that there have been several reports of broken springs (mostly front) on cars in the northern U.S. and in Canada. I wouldn't want a front spring to go out while I was flying around the track. Luckily mine went out going over a speed bump in a parking lot.

1998.5 E1 SVT Contour #5482/6535
J
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
J
I attended the IRP Invasion the last two years and the only issue I've had was with the power steering fluid boiling. Keep some on hand.

1999 SVT T-Red
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  GTO Pete, Trapps_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard