Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#881411 02/24/04 01:48 AM
P
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
P
My 95 Contour with plenty of oil and lots of TLC just up and siezed on me I think. Only drove it about a block and the engine shut down. No noise except a slight valve knocking sound (very slight) and a couple engine misses.

This is a Duratek with only 80,000 miles. Never had any smoke or problems starting or idling. I pulled the starter and it's fine (not siezed). It must be the engine. A mechanic (I don't really trust) said the motor couldn't be broken loose. Any advice appreciated. Could it be a cam or something? With no sounds at all I can't begin to guess what happened.

Peter

Pete I really like my '95, but dang I need some help. 1995 CountorSE (Loaded: Currently dead)
K
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
K
No CEL?

Pull the CEL is the only way to be sure.

Just a plain jane '96 LX V-6 here...
M
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
M
Could be a bunch of things. Will it try to turn over ?

Bless our servicemen & women overseas. L.Cpl Ian Malone, 1st Battalion Irish Guards, R.I.P.
P
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
P
First of all, I apologize for ignorance, but what is the "CEL"? I'll check anything that'll let me know what's wrong, but I've never dug into this engine before.

Secondly, no the engine won't try to turn over. The starter barely made a noise, so I pulled the starter and it's fine.

The engine is locked up.

Pete I really like my '95, but dang I need some help. 1995 CountorSE (Loaded: Currently dead)
C
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
Originally posted by Petes95NeedsHelp:
what is the "CEL"? I'll
Secondly, no the engine won't try to turn over. The starter barely made a noise, so I pulled the starter and it's fine.

The engine is locked up.

CEL is the light on your gauge cluster that says" check engine" check engine light=CEL.
Aka MIL = malfunction indicator light. Both are the same thing.

As for the engine I have no clue really. Could be hundreds of things. Timing chain (I doubt it),
Fly wheel or trany.
Just guessing as I can't see the car.

1996 2.5LT V6 Contour ATX My Tour+help/info pics E0 rims, Gutted Pre-Cats,CTA Custom Exhaust & Intake, Diablo Chip.
M
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
M
Might be your fuel pump.....its way more common to have issues with them than with the Duratech engines. Fuel pumps on 95s tend to go out a lot.....and you won't hear strange noises or anything.

98 Mystique LS DOB 06/97
M
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
M
Maybe also check your battery connections. A friends 98 sable had a bunch of corrosion on the terminals and everything seemed fine until one day the engine wouldn't even turn over. Might be worth checking as that would be cheap and easy to fix.

98 Mystique LS DOB 06/97
P
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
P
I'll be checking the feul pump ASAP, but just going out there and pushing on the belts, I was able to get all the pullys to move, except the compressor. I'm still trying to find an 18mm socket to put on the crank pully so I can try to break the egine free.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Pete
(but I think I'm screwed anyway)

V
V
why would you think your engine is "seized"

S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
Could also be an electrical problem. 95's, (like mine) had major wiring problems. If this is the case you may have had a big time melt down. If no power than the engine will simply be stone cold dead. See the FAQ's referenced on the home page. Here's the one for the wiring recall:
Wiring

If you can turn the engine by hand then suspect electrical problems, but can't say for sure, just another possibility to consider. Turning the engine will be easier if you remove the sparkplugs first. Blow out or vacuum out the plug holes B4 removing the plugs so no dirt falls into the cylinders.

Good luck to you and welcome aboard.

Former, now returned CEG'er! 95SE MTX, (AKA "The Road Rat"). Stock except for:TH fix, B.A.T. big brake kit, tranny cocktail and lots of re-insulated wiring! May yet be a 3.0! "Speed doesn't kill, stupidity does!"
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard