Next Thread
Print Thread
M
MelC Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
M
Yup, talked to my trusty local mechanic and he didn't sound very optimistic. He said the whining I hear when I accelerate is my transmission, and it is definitely slipping. I am taking it to him Friday and he will drive it to make sure but I will probably have to rebuild/replace. If it is not too far gone he said that Ford makes and trans fluid additive that will help. This really makes me wonder...a couple of years ago my OD off light started flashing and I smelled a burning smell, this also coincided with my CEL coming on. I took it to the dealer and they ran the codes, fixed the CEL prob and "forgot" what the tran code was and had since cleared the computer...they thought it was a sensor. Anyway, they told me to drive it and see if the light came back on. I had my fluid changed by my mechanic a couple of weeks later and he said it smelled burnt. The light never came back on but now I am having this whole episode. Oh Well...such is life. Do any of you know how much a new transmission or a rebuild is going to run? It is a 1999 SE V-6.

L
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
L
2k +

I went through the same thing on my 98 with a v6. it sucks

Jason 00 Audi S4, 2.7 Bi-turbo quattro 01 S10 Xtreme, 4.3l 98' Contour SE with some mods 96 Cavalier (beater)
F
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
F
You might want to run some auto-rx through it before you rebuild. Go to auto-rx.com or bobistheoilguy.com and read the additives forum.

96 Sport 2.0L - 190,XXX miles
U
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
U
Sounds like your pump has went out. A Whining sound is one of the symptoms of a failing pump.

If you are handy, you can change it yourself for a lot less than a rebuild will cost.

As for cost, remains can be had for as low as $800 and rebuilds can run as much as $2000.

Phillip Jackson `98 Mystique LS 262K+ and counting... ATX rebuilt @ 151K "This storm has broken me, my only friend!" RIP Dime

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard