Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1922 02/24/02 02:00 PM
N
Norman Offline OP
OP Offline
N
I have a 98 LX and I keep it religiously clean. I live in a heavy snow / high road salt area and ensure my car is washed inside and out every weekend. I also have my car sprayed (underbody and inside all the panels) each fall before the first snow flies.

As I was cleaning my car this weekend, I noticed the first small paint bubbles showing up on the seam where the metal folds over the bottom of the doors.

Question:
What is the best way to protect this area and can I arrest this rust now or has it gone too far?

Thanks

Norman
Montreal Canada
1998 LX V6 ATX
Leather
Moon Roof
CD
PW PL AC Cruise RKE
#1923 02/24/02 02:15 PM
T
T
Run more clean water down the window seals and ensure the holes at the bottom of the doors are free and clear to let water out,if not the salt water will lay inside the doors and rust thru....the door inners are not designed to be water tight.You can remove the inner panel and clean out the inner at the bottom and spray rustproofer but you must keep the holes clear...

V6 MTX
'Don't p**s up my back then tell me it's raining!!!"
'Its only nuts & bolts!'
'If I build it,fix it,upgrade it or modify it...MAYBE they will come....!
Haines Motor Sports Inc,
Dealer for 'Quaife America' & 'Autotech Sport Tuning'
SOLE USA Dealer for the American Axle 'AUSSIE BAR'...
Get a Turbo for you Zetec from HMS Inc...by 'The Demon' ...www.DemonDynamics.co.uk
..don't talk about it DO IT !!!
#1924 02/24/02 03:48 PM
J
J
I've had the same thing happen to the bottom of my doors too, and I'm just as finicky about keeping it clean up here in the snow/salt belt.

What I did was I went to my bodyshop of choice and I had them grind the rust and paint off, clean and prep the seams, and seal the fold with a type of silicone sealer before painting it over.

If you look on the older contiques, ('95 for example) you'll see that it came with a sealer in those folds from the factory. The newer ones(such as our '98's), had it de-contented.
This sealer obviously helps, because my grandfather's '95 Mystique has yet to form a single spot of rust at the bottom of his doors. Unlike every local '98 I've seen, of which all of them have started to bubble there.

-Jeff
-"The Crazy Canuck!!"
-"Rice": Anything that looks faster than it really is...

My Ride! http://members.sounddomain.com/sideoftheroad
#1925 02/24/02 03:58 PM
J
J
BTW, Norman, since we are both from Montreal, I can introduce you to the bodyshop I use. They do an excellent job and everyone I refer to them gets a lower price.( I know the bodyshop Manager! laugh )
All the local CEG'ers use him for their body and paint needs, and will vouch for their work.

You can either PM me, reply here, or ICQ me if interested. See ya!

-Jeff
-"The Crazy Canuck!!"

#1926 02/24/02 05:06 PM
N
Norman Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Thanks for the info/help guys....

Terry,
I always use a lot of fresh water and rince the entire car thoroughly. The drain holes are always kept clear. As I mentioned in my original note, I have the car rustproofed each fall before the winter sets in. I also use the "spray can form" of Rust Check on the seam at least 2 - 3 times a winter season. The paint bubbles are beginning to show on all four doors.

Jeff,
My ICQ is 5833044. I might take you up on the offer of the body shop in a month or so. The question is, while they grind down, seal and repaint the seams...what about the rust that is still in the part of the seam they don't grind down?

Sorry guys....I HATE RUST!

Norman
Montreal Canada
1998 LX V6 ATX
Leather
Moon Roof
CD
PW PL AC Cruise RKE
#1927 02/24/02 06:54 PM
W
W
I was running a search on this subject a few weeks ago and came up with little. I have the same problem and even my trunk seam is rusting a little too. What I did was to use the body color touch up paint and and seal the seam. I then sprayed a clear coat over it. I should probabably get some clear silicon and run a small bead over it.

#1928 02/24/02 10:49 PM
J
J
Norman: they are very thorough with the cleaning. I have had all 4 doors done, and none have come back. We'll talk on ICQ about it.

-Jeff
-"The Crazy Canuck!!"

#1929 02/24/02 11:50 PM
S
S
Hear in Ontario there is one proven product that we use its called Rust Check. It is an oil chemical spray. You can pick up do it yourself cans at Canadian Tire. I t prevents rust and if you have some rust started already, it keeps the corrosion from advancing any more.

#1930 02/25/02 12:00 AM
J
J
J-lab...do you know when they decontented that, was it with the 98 redesign?

I have a 95 contour with 98K and no sign of rust here in Wisconsin and am looking for another contique...

You guys really clean your cars every week??? Gee mine pretty much only gets an occasional rinse...whenever it is out in the rain. :p

1996 Contour GL Sport, Zetec, MTX

1995 Contour GL, Zetec, MTX
#1931 02/25/02 12:36 AM
N
Norman Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Jeff...

What did they charge you?
How long did they have to keep your car?
Did they do all four doors?

Norman
Montreal Canada
1998 LX V6 ATX
Leather
Moon Roof
CD
PW PL AC Cruise RKE
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  GTO Pete, Trapps_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard