Next Thread
Print Thread
N
nomada Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
N
Hello everyone. Well I am a new (to me) 98 SVT owner that just passed the 70,000 mile make and now it will not start. Yes I have searched through many thread but want to be sure I am on the right path...so please humor me.
Here the probs:
Cranks but won't start. Happened last week, replaced fuel filter, still no start. So i push started it, it ran but was "bucking" w/ 1/4 tank... filled the tank and it ran better. Next morning starts right up, but now the CEL comes on. Was running with a little bucking until this morning when it would not start again, but was turning over.

OK..so I am thinking fuel pump now. yes or no?
if yes should i go with the $210.50 one from ford or the $130 one from Kragen. will both be similar quality?

any suggestion on getting that crap off the MAF sensor screw so i can get it off?

Thanks is adavance for the help.

T
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
T
Check ignition(plug N wires),injectors clogged? About the MAF screw... I used my pocket knife to take off the gook on top of the screw. Hope this helps you.

Roland 98 SvT WiTh StUfF...Sold Evo 8
T
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
T
I had the exact same symptoms, and I used the intake cleaning fix http://www.contour.org/mods/mods.php?s=howto&displayid=43 and it runs great now.

T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
In order of cost:

1. Clean MAF & check/change air filter
2. Clean IAC
3. Clean intake system & check for gasket/tubing leaks
4. Replace fuel pump

My bet would be a good MAF cleaning & a fuel pump will solve your problems under normal conditions. Double check the accordian tube, the intake vac hoses, & the PCV valve & tubing.

IF the symptoms seem to be at their worst as it gets colder, you may have a big vac leak causing your problems. Snug up your manifolds & perhaps even replace the gaskets.

If you're running original plugs, put in a set of Autolite APP764 double plats, and consider some fresh plug wires also if its time. Magnecore, stock, or Autolite Pro-fit series wires seem to work without problems. All others are a waste of money, or generally require more frequent replacement.

Must be that jumbly-wumbly thing happening again.
N
nomada Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
N
thanks for the replies. i have not got the chance to try any of the recommendations yet but i have a few questions:

to clean the intake, we are talking about the two vacuum tubes on top of the manifold on the right side, just to the lef of the MAF/Air intake?

whats the IAC?

when i am checking the air filter, what am i checking for?

called to get fuel pump and they have to order it and it will take about a week, is this common with contours since they are out of production?

thanks again, hopefully i'll get started tonight and get back with the results.

N
nomada Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
N
anybody want to help me with my last set of questions above... i'm heading out right now to finally try to get this baby running smooth.
thanks!

N
nomada Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
N
and could somebody please explain what and where the throttle body is? pictures?

N
nomada Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
N
found the throttle body...but it says so not clean on it.

is it safe to clean?

N
nomada Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
N
well thanks to the three who helped me. what happened after that? they were pretty simple questions.... i guess i'm used to the busier explorer forum.

so anyways , result.... cleaned MAF, Intakes, and throttle body....reset computer......started up and, wow, there was THICK white smoke coming out of my exhaust for about 6 mins. after that the car has run great!! so thanks.

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard