Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#862409 02/04/04 02:49 PM
5point1 Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
The lower area of the drivers-side rear door on my sisters 95 Contour has a rusty crack in it that is starting to get longer and longer. Right now it's about 5 inches from left to right. It's very thin right now though, maybe only open like 1/8 of an inch.

Is there any auto body patches or something that's available? Should I just try using some auto body filler such as Bondo? I know a lot of people use Bondo to fill in dents and stuff, but now sure if it will work as well with an actual "crack" in the doors outer surface?

THANKS!:)

T
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
T
In order to have the crack stop spreading you need to drill a 1/8" hole at the very end of the crack and best to drill one at the start of the crack as well.Then the crack should be welded after its been drilled at the ends.If you don't want to go that route, and want to do it yourself...still drill the crack ends...that will stop it spreading further.Seal it with a good 2 part epoxy of some sort, and maybe a small plate over it rivited or screwed on both sides. The proper way is to have it mig drilled, and mig welded. Bondo will do nothing for the crack...coat it with a brush of primer and the plate and some sealer will outlast any bondo fix.

W
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
W
New door skin.

1998 Contour LX, 2.5L V6

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard