Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#860890 02/02/04 09:57 PM
T
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
T
Well, this morning I was stuck in the snow so I tried to get out by rocking the car back and forth by shifting from 1st to reverse quickly and repitidly..... Well after getting out I made my way 15 miles to work and on the way home I noticed I was having a hard time shifting and about 1 minute later the clutch pedal wobbled a bit and wouldnt go in gear at all... Any ideas???

Thanks in Advance....

1998.5 CSVT #3617 K&N Custom Intake Custom 2 3/4 Magnaflow cat back Ram HD Power Grip Clutch Energy Suspension Inserts Bosch Platnium + Bf-Goodrich G-force radials "KDWS" Alpine deck CDA-7863 Boston mids More to come: Stock Sucks!!!!
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
sounds to me like a cracked master cylinder

1995 SE 2.5L V6/MTX 187k
T
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
T
Any one else?? Please!!!

1998.5 CSVT #3617 K&N Custom Intake Custom 2 3/4 Magnaflow cat back Ram HD Power Grip Clutch Energy Suspension Inserts Bosch Platnium + Bf-Goodrich G-force radials "KDWS" Alpine deck CDA-7863 Boston mids More to come: Stock Sucks!!!!
G
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
G
there is something in the FAQ about it being hard to shift but i dont know about no going into gear, sorry if im not any help i dont have an mtx yet

98.5 Black SE ATX S&B filter, SVT MAF, optimized SVT TB, mesh grille, removed orange reflectors, painted rear reflector, gutted pre-cats, optimized SVT LIM, 19lb injectors, resonator removed cant afford an svt but lookin for 1 in nc
S
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
Originally posted by TommyBoy:
Well, this morning I was stuck in the snow so I tried to get out by rocking the car back and forth by shifting from 1st to reverse quickly and repitidly..... Well after getting out I made my way 15 miles to work and on the way home I noticed I was having a hard time shifting and about 1 minute later the clutch pedal wobbled a bit and wouldnt go in gear at all... Any ideas???

Thanks in Advance....

I had the similar problem in Nov. Clutch pedal hit the floor then regain pressure a few sec later? My pressure plate exploded. Sorry to say it, but I think your clutch is gone. I had ford do mine since I do not have the tools to pull it off myself.

2003 Toyota Matrix 1972 Pontiac Ventura II "Sprint" 1998 SVT !SOLD!
B
Learned patience the hard way
Learned patience the hard way
B
It is possible you burned up your clutch in the process. Can you change gears when the car is not running? If so, then you need to check out the clutch assembly. If not, then you need to look deeper into the trans as far as possibly breaking a shift fork pin or something along those lines.

Rick

Owner of 00 #1611 Silver (Totalled) 98.5 T-Red SVT #6180 Buckshot77@msn.com Misc 3L parts for sale
T
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
T
Yeah.. I can shift when the car is off but not easily.... When I try to start the car it try's to go forward as if the clutch wasnt depressed.. How much should I expect to pay for labor and parts fornew clutch and pressure plate?? It's kinda weird though.. Never had a problem with my clutch B4!!!

D
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
D
It sounds like your clutch. It will be around $1,000.00 to change it out with a stock replacement. How many miles on your car?

Think of it as an opportunity to upgrade your transmission with a limited slip differential, lightweight flywheel, and maybe a performance clutch.

S
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
My clutch went at only 54K, no signs of problems. Just went when I shifted gears.

2003 Toyota Matrix 1972 Pontiac Ventura II "Sprint" 1998 SVT !SOLD!
D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
I would have to agree with most of the assessments. It does sound like the clutch and/or pressure plate is damaged.

The stock parts DO NOT like repetitive use. They heat up very fast and the slip at best or outright fail at worst.

Depending on your available money and mechanical skill you could upgrade the entire setup (LSD, SPEC, Flywheel, 3 forks, syncros, etc) for about the same price as paying someone to just R&R the clutch with stock components. (OEM PP, T/O, & clutch) It is the labor that kills you!

Either way it would be extremely smart to upgrade to the better shifter forks and syncros (at least 2 & 3 for sure!) when everything was apart! It is not very expensive at all.

Upgrading to SPEC and a Torsen would be as well but that would be around $700 more vs just clutch R&R labor & a stock clutch set.

Whatever you do - DO NOT BE CHEAP!!! Replace all the clutch parts!

2000 SVT #674 13.47 @ 102 - All Motor! It was not broke; Yet I fixed it anyway.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard