Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#850109 01/22/04 04:05 PM
5point1 Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
I'm VERY happy to say that my sisters 95 Contour is going Monday morning to get the 99M03 "Wiring Harness" Recall done! We went to Ford lastnight and were there for about half-an-hour. That's all it took for them to determine that her car DEFINATELY needs the Recall done ASAP.

They were pretty nice about it. My sister was EXTREMELY lucky that she's going now instead of later because Ford Motor Co. of Canada sets the Recall mileage limit at 10 years or 150,000 KMs and my sisters Contour has 146,655 KMs!! Another few months, and she would have been past the limit.

I am VERY thankful that I was able to print out that entire 57 page Recall information from this site, because it actually revealed a few important peices of info that the dealer did NOT have. For example, the service person had no idea that Ford is supposed to give a Free Loaner or Rental car for up to 2 days as the Recall is being performed!!?? Strange...

We also found out that the price, in Canadian dollars, to get this done would cost OVER $3,000!!! The price of the parts package alone is $2,400 CDN!! Labour at the dealer is $80/hour, multiply that by the 8 hours or so it will take, and that's another $640!! That's just CRAZY!

Anyways, I've got my sisters car to the point of being driveable, and hopefully after this extensive Recall, it will be completely back to normal.

THANKS EVERYONE!:)

N
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
N
When you get the car back, look the engine over thoroughly. Check to make sure all plugs have been put back where they belong.

They missed one plug on mine, no damage, but still missed.

Hopefully they'll get it right the first time

"Fear is the little death." Muadib.
5point1 Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
Thanks!:) I already met the tech that will be doing it and he's been working there for 15 years. Plus, I found out that Ford Motor Co. of Canada will NOT pay the Dealership if the Dealer doesn't have the properly certified or whatever tech do the work on it. I guess Ford wants to make sure that they don't have any newby techs or apprentices doing extensive Recall work.

One thing that I don't really understand about the Recall is why they only replace 4 harnesses?? What about the completely messed-up MAF connector, or TPS connector, or Ignition Coil connector etc. All of those are completely cracked with bare wire...will they be fixing these up as well??

If not, I don't really see a point the whole thing...

D
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
D
You can bet your last dollar or your sisters last dollar that if the recall does not cover it and they fix it then the dealer will get paid by you or her.

P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Slip the tech a $100 on the side.

Warranty rate for this job only pays 7.7 hours and it usually takes longer to do it right.

Just tell him you know about how much work is involved, that he will get shortchanged on the warranty labor, and that you really appreciate his work.

He will either thank you and decline the tip while appreciating your concern or he will take it and do a great job in either case.

Steve

98 Contour SE Sport 2.5 Duratec ATX The wifey's car 89 Taurus SHO - 246K miles 94 SHO ATX - 190K 1997 F-150 5.4L ATX - The Workhorse 150K. ANY THREAD WITH "OMG" or "WTF" ETC IN THE TITLE WILL BE IGNORED!
N
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
N
All the wiring should be done. Even though you see the MAF connector & TPS wiring etc... by itself. Those wires all branch off from the their harnesses. In replacing the harnesses, they replace the MAF, TPS, etc.. connections as well.

"Fear is the little death." Muadib.

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard