Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
B
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
B
I am trying to find info. on buying a catalytic converter because of a po420 code. My car is a 2000 contour se with 74k on it. Ca. reg.s only cover the cat.s to 6/60k. I went to the flowmaster site but couldn't find any listing for contours. Any sugestions would be appreciated.

Is this a job I can do myself or should I have a muff shop do the job?

M
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
M
Originally posted by brainiac:
I am trying to find info. on buying a catalytic converter because of a po420 code. My car is a 2000 contour se with 74k on it. Ca. reg.s only cover the cat.s to 6/60k. I went to the flowmaster site but couldn't find any listing for contours. Any sugestions would be appreciated.

Is this a job I can do myself or should I have a muff shop do the job?

Yeah...you could do it if you have a saws-all and a welder and can weld good.

--Matt

2003 Sonic Blue SVT Cobra Coupe 2003 RedFire SVT Cobra Convertable 2005 Dark Toreador Red F150 XLT 4x4 2000 Black SVT Contour - Beater
S
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
The O2s are in front of the main cat - so that sounds like a pre-cat problem (are you positive it's no just a bad O2 sensor?).

2 solutions:

1) pay the HUGE bucks for a new stock manifold cat

2) gut them (or buy some gutted ones from buckshot) and put in MIL eliminators (illegal but you'll pass smog with no problems anyway).

97 Contour SE MTX K&N 3530, UR UDP, 19# Injectors, mystery mod, FMS wires, Fordchip.com chip, SVT: TB, Flywheel, clutch, exhaust 04 Grand Caravan SXT
B
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
B
I swapped the rear o2 sensors, cleared the code and got the same code after a while. I didn't try the front ones though. I kinda hate to gut the cat.s. Aren't there any hi-perf. ones out there for us poor saps in cali.?

G
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
G

Formaly FLCEGkid Chris Bertrand 1995 Ford Contour Gl 2.5 V6 MTX FOR SALE! Somebody please buy my Fiberglas hood!!
J
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
J
If it's the main cat, a Magnaflow (Autosound) high flow cat, can be had on Ebay for around $30!! Go for it. My friend actually just bought one for his civic HB because it was extremely cheaper than OEM.

99 SVTC, T-Red, #652/2760-12.8.1998 Mother#@%@!* did I sound abstract? I hope it sounded more confusin than that!
E
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
E
Originally posted by brainiac:
I swapped the rear o2 sensors, cleared the code and got the same code after a while. I didn't try the front ones though. I kinda hate to gut the cat.s. Aren't there any hi-perf. ones out there for us poor saps in cali.?

As far as I know there are no alternatives to OEM manifolds with pre-cats. You have several options.

1. Pay for someone to put on new or used OEM manifolds.

2. Put on OEM manifolds yourself new or used.

3. Buy headers and do yourself or pay someone.

4. Gut your pre-cats yourself or have someone help you.

5. Buy some MIL eliminators and have the codes disappear.

1998.5 E1 SVT Contour #5482/6535
B
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
B
Sometimes changing the plugs/wires helps make the P0420 code go away. If you haven't done that yet, I'd do that first.

I got a P0421 code on my '96 about 4K miles ago, my mechanic suggested that I change the plugs/wires, which I did, and the code hasn't been back since. It had 92K on the original plugs/wires so I knew it was time to do that anyway.

(Big Jim also confirmed this in a post he made here a while back).

As best as I can determine, the extra HCs in the exhaust caused by worn plugs can cause an older cat to stop performing as effectively, but apparently the process is reversible, in that replacing the plugs, getting rid of the extra HCs, causes the cat to recover from it's loss of efficiency.

B
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
B
I'll change out plugs and wires this weekend. BTW the cel suddenly went out. It did this once before.

B
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
B
That means the cat is on the edge, and all the more likely that changing plugs and wires might reverse the loss of efficiency.

Link Copied to Clipboard