Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
P
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
P
Hey guys...

Kinda bummed....Bought a 1998 CSVT today....really liked the car during the test drive, and it was what I was looking for so I bought it on the spot.

On the interstate, while on my way back home (after about 60 nice miles in the car) I decided to take the car through a few gears just for fun since I knew I couldn't when I got back to home because the roads are snow covered there.

Anyway, right after that, the car began to overheat...I pulled over and shut it off. Checked thigs out under the hood...anti freeze must have came out of the filler cap, and was all over....the coolant resivoir was also empty. Didn't have any coolant with us to put in, so we let the car cool off, then started it up and let it idle for a minute. The temp needle hovered at about 1/2 way. Figured it would be okay to try to make it up to the gas station that was about 2 miles or so up the road. Took off and got about a mile before the needle got about 3/4 of the way up...pulled over, let it cool down again...then made it to the store.

After we got there we opened the hood and we could then see coolant in the resivoir....it was about 1/2 inch below the MIN mark. We bought some coolant and put it in. Started the car, let it idle, temps again hovered at about 1/2 way on the guage. Took off, got about 1/4 mile up the road and the car was heating up again. Stopped at a "Park and Ride", then went looking for a garage that was open, but couldn't find any. When we got back (hour or so later), opened the hood and the coolant resivoir looked empty again...put coolant in yet again, and started the car (also made sure to look under to car to ensure it wasn't leaking). Temps climbed way up again when it was just idling....we also noticed that no heat was coming out of the heater. Well, the car is still sitting there...about 40 miles from my house.

I came on here earlier tonight and read the FAQ...looks like the plastic impeller on the water pump tends to break? After reading that FAQ it appears as that is very likely my problem. Going to try to find a place open tomorrow and pray that they have the pump...I just felt like posting on here to see if you guys had any input.

Thanks for reading.

-Josh

1998 Black SVT 1992 SHO www.CVBOYZ.com
P
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
P
Oh also...forgot...one other thing...Windshield washer doesn't work, any ideas on that? fluid is full. Haven't even had time to look at it yet.

Thanks.

-Josh

B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Your overheating problem has the typical signs of a failed water pump. On our cars, the factory pump has a plastic impeller that tends to crack and break apart with age. Some younger than others. The main defining point is that the heater is cold, showing that it is not just a thermostat that is stuck shut.

The water pump is driven off the cam on the transmission side of the engine. pull the cover off the front valve cover and you can see it clearly. It helps to remove the battery for access.

Some of the aftermarket pumps come with a metal impeller and seem to be the preferred replacement. The newest engineering level of the factory pumps seem to have an improved plastic, but a metal one would probably be better.

I suggest you do a search about the water pump and you can come up with a lot more information. I think there may also be some information in the FAQ section.

Congratulations on your SVT.

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited
S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
Pump is most likely your problem. Do a search of the site for sources of metal impeller pumps. Despite earlier reservations, the metal impeller pumps have worked out well. Autozone is one source, but a search will turn up more as I recall. As far as the washer pump goes, could be many things; bad pump, wiring, fuse, short, or if hasn't been used for a while, could be seized up. I've seen more than one come back to life by having a friend hold the switch on while you give it a rap with the handle of a screwdriver or small wrench. (A hammer is a litle TOO much, IMHO!)

Welcome and best of luck with your new wheels.

Former, now returned CEG'er! 95SE MTX, (AKA "The Road Rat"). Stock except for:TH fix, B.A.T. big brake kit, tranny cocktail and lots of re-insulated wiring! May yet be a 3.0! "Speed doesn't kill, stupidity does!"
S
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
Sounds like a bad water pump to me. It's a very common thing; Don't let it ruin your experience.

2003 Mazda6s 3.0L MTX Webpage 2004 Mazda3s 2.3L ATX
M
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
M
Yeah, it's good that your water pump went on your first day. Now you won't have to worry about it.

I see that you're in Vermont, which might explain your washer jet problem. With the nasty cold snap lately, my washer jets have siezed up a few times. Sometimes I pour some of the fluid right on the nozzles, but other times I just have to wait for it to get a little warmer out.

These cars are a little fussy in the cold weather.

Old car: '98 SVT T-Red K&N air filter; Ford Focus RS shift knob. Off to be auctioned off somewhere. New car: 2003 Honda Accord DX Sedan, 5-speed.
P
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
P
Thanks guys!

I have been calling parts places all morning...one of the larger stores near me says they can't even get one...Are all of the V6 water pumps the same (whether the car is an SVT or not)? A couple of places around me said they can get one, but they have to order it...Just wondering incase maybe it will help me find one in stock.

Thank you.

-Josh

M
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
M
The metal impeller waterpump is what you want. NAPA carries the DURA-pro part # 125-1910 (I think) costs about $60.00, all 2.5l engines can use this pump, DO NOT BUY A PUMP WITH THE BLACK PLASTIC IMPELLER.

1999 Toreador Red SVT, DOB 4/22/99, 2005 Of 2760. "Many posted questions are answered by farm boys"
S
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
S
Originally posted by Marky:
DO NOT BUY A PUMP WITH THE BLACK PLASTIC IMPELLER.

Are these even made anymore?
Anyway, I had the same experience when I bought my SE years ago. I think I destroyed the wp impellar during my test drive the day before I picked up the car. I ran it kind of hard to make sure it was running properly. The lady I bought it from probably never redlined the engine.

Dueling Duratecs '95 SE V6 MTX 0 Mods '04 Mazda6 S Wagon '03 Kawasaki Z1000 But thus do I counsel you, my friends: distrust all in whom the impulse to punish is powerful! Friedrich Nietzsche
K
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
K
Overheating...2.5L...must be the dreaded bad water pump , welcome to CSVT ownership! Make sure you replace the belt along with the waterpump that has a METAL impeller. You might wanna have the cooling system flushed afterwards too, just to be on the safe side Welcome to the CEG!

"THEE" Roger R USMondeo@aol.com 2005 Crossfire Limited coupe' -FOR SALE @buyout price & I'll... -throw in my 93' Regal as winter car *Dragon Run 06'...Oct 12-15th* Puur-fection Auto Detailing Complete packages from $140.00
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard