Next Thread
Print Thread
#845813 01/17/04 07:41 PM
S
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
S
Keep in mind that I live in Phoenix so its well above freezing...

When I first start my '98 Countour the car shakes like it has a really bad miss. After you drive it a mile or so it clears up and the car runs perfect after that.

The problem seems to be getting worse so I figured I'd ask here... any ideas where to start? The car does not give me a 'check engine' light when this is happening.

Shawn

'98 Contour SE Sport v6 ATX - totaled in August of '05 '95 Mustang GT Convertible - 5-Speed.
#845814 01/17/04 07:57 PM
X
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
X
I had a similar problem caused by the IAC valve. When I started the car up it would run rough, but then it would be fine after driving for a minute or two. I did the regular IAC cleaning and it fixed the problem.

Matt 2000 SVT Toreador #1210 of 2150
#845815 01/18/04 04:09 AM
F
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
F
I had the same problem, progressively got worse. Did the IAC clean, plugs, wires and fuel filter.

Ended up being an intake gasket leak that sealed as the engine warmed, but progressively became permanent.

Used starter fluid around the intake, injectors, and all the vacuum hoses to find where the problem was. Might help you to try doing that.

Jeff

"Drive it like you STOLE IT!!" '98 Mystique Sport V6 ATX '93 Eagle Talon TSI AWD Turbo '92 Eagle Talon TSI AWD Turbo
#845816 01/18/04 05:10 PM
S
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
S
Last night I changed the air filter, looked for the PCV (is that it on the right front of the cam cover... near the battery?), and started changing the plugs. All of my plug wires are being a major [censored] to take off the plugs so I only got the front ones done last night. The plugs I took out had gaps between .060 and .070+ on some of them! They definately needed to be changed. I'm going to try the rear set today. The only hard part is geting the plug wires off the plugs.

I'll give the IAC a shot but my car had this miss even when driving down the road, not just at idle. I'm starting to suspect my battery. I started it up last night to move it into the garage and it didn't do it.

The first time it did it was after I went on a week and a half vacation out of state and the car stayed home. It started up with a slight miuss but it cleared up by the time I got out of the driveway.

This next time was a week or so later where I haden't driven the car for a couple days. I started it up and it felt like either the harmonic balancer spun or I was running on 5 cylinders. It took a good 5 minutes running for it to clear up.

The only other thing I've noticed is that when starting the car as night.... when I turn the lights on the dash lights come on.. then dim, then flare, then settle down and illuminate normally.

This is what has me suspecting the battery or the alternator. Both checked out fine by Autozone. I guess I'll se eif the problem pops up agaqin and go from there.

Thanks for the tips so far!

Shawn

'98 Contour SE Sport v6 ATX - totaled in August of '05 '95 Mustang GT Convertible - 5-Speed.
#845817 01/19/04 02:06 AM
C
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
Originally posted by Shawn95GTRag:
Last night I changed the air filter, looked for the PCV (is that it on the right front of the cam cover... near the battery?),

Shawn

Here's a pic of where the PCV is.

If the plugs at that far out of gap and wires are tough to get off. I think I'd be changing all of it.
Might have stopped doing it cause you found the bad plug/wire combo too.

1996 2.5LT V6 Contour ATX My Tour+help/info pics E0 rims, Gutted Pre-Cats,CTA Custom Exhaust & Intake, Diablo Chip.

Link Copied to Clipboard