Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
S
I am trying to sell my car to buy a truck for work and trying to sell it on ebay for 12,500 and i was wondering if that is too much to ask for. I just put in 2500 for rims and tires about 2-3 months ago and i also just repainted it right as i got my wheels. I have not been getting alot of emails or anything. One person asked questions but then i told him the reserve and he never emailed me back. I am just curious what you think????

my car on ebay

P
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
P
New paint and wheels won't matter to a normal person as the car is still only going to be worth x amount of dollars. Might make a difference to an enthusiast but that is about it.

Its like my VW... book value is only 1400 but with what i've done to it i wouldn't ask a penny less than 4000 for it as it sits and its not even done yet. Once i'm done with the motor swap i wouldn't ask less than 8000. A normal person isn't going to care that it will have a 1.8T swap with SDS and a 6 speed. They will see it as a 85 Golf and think the price is rediculous.

Last edited by Predator; 01/13/04 02:49 AM.

96 Mystique GS 85 VW Golf
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Online Content
Hard-core CEG'er
R
At the same time, a lot of enthusiasts want to make their car their own, not just a continuation of what somebody else has done. Additionally, a modified car gives the impression that the car has been driven hard and may be selling for mechanical reasons.

At any rate, $12,000 is way too much considering you can get a '99 SVT for as low as $7000 nowadays.

M
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
M
The unfortunate bottom line is that it's only worth what someone will pay for it.
Your car is verrrry nice to many, especially on these boards, but not everyone sees it that way.
My car is worth more to me than the $1000 I was offered by the dealer where I bought it. I know that if I were to trade it anywhere it'll be headed for the auction block. Sure, it's basically stock, and hasn't even turned 100K yet (200 more miles to go!), but I wouldn't part with it for peanuts.

- Jim Our yardbirds: Belvedere, our '96 Jeep Cherokee, 4.0L ATX, 85,000 and going strong Spencer, our '03 Chrysler PT Crusier, 2.4L ATX, 28,000 and just getting started
#841500 01/13/04 04:13 AM
D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
You'll be lucky to get 8-9k for it. (it does have new paint, but is a truly a good paint job?)

It's fairly low miles for a 98, but that's still 6-7 years old for a car that never sold for face value off the showroom floor.

Also the rims & tires do nothing for 99.999% of the people interested in a car like this. Matter of fact they would actually lower it's value IMO. No lie...

You are significantly better off putting the stock rims back on it and keeping or selling those (no comment) rims.

2000 SVT #674 13.47 @ 102 - All Motor! It was not broke; Yet I fixed it anyway.
#841501 01/13/04 05:09 AM
S
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
Quote:

Also the rims & tires do nothing for 99.999% of the people interested in a car like this. Matter of fact they would actually lower it's value IMO. No lie...

I'd have to agree with this.

When I look at your car, knowing that it's $12,500; I see a car that I not only have to pay $12,500 for, but I have to sink another $1100 into a good set of 17s and tires.

An extrememly small minority likes 19s, fewer like your particular style, and an even smaller minority is willing to pay a premium to get them already on a car. Stock rims are designed to appeak to the widest variety of people while providing a good ride.

The audio system is the same way. While I wouldn't have to pay money out of pocket to replace it, I wouldn't pay extra for it over another car. At best it's something that would swing favor towards your car when comparing 2 same-priced cars.

You also need to be a little more specific when it comes to the Vehicle Condition. "Perfect" is not a vehicle condition except maybe if it's right out the dealer inventory. Especially those buying on Ebay, when they can't see the car, want every single piece of information you can give them.

Basically, it doesn't matter if you gold-plated your 'Tour, the used-car market treats every car the same. A 98 Contour is a 98 Contour.

That said, I'd say that $8,000 is about the most you'll get for you car. Take your car to the dealer to see what the'd give you for a trade-in.... I think you'll find that $8,000 is more than fair after hearing what they say.

2003 Mazda6s 3.0L MTX Webpage
2004 Mazda3s 2.3L ATX
E
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
E
I have to agree with everyone else. The price is high. If you were to sell things seperate, wheels and tires, car, stereo, etc. you would most likely get more money then selling it all together. Speaking from my own perspective, I look for cars that are mostly, if not completely stock. I know that it was driven on factor settings with factory equipment. I then do things myself, cause then I have the satisfaction of knowing that the work done was done by me, and done my way. It's an ownership thing. People like for things to be "theirs" especially those who customize cars as you have done. Custom to oneself, that's the goal IMO.

2000 CSVT Silver Frost: #942 of 2150 HID Projectors and Fog Light Mod, Optomized TB, MSDS headers 2003 Silverstone Z
R
R_G Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Everybody here pretty much answered the question. There's something else - don't forget that you are selling your car, not buying - meaning that you are almost always getting a price that's lower than if you were out there to buy. Also, all the stuff you put in is not really gonna raise its value. I would say 7 grand is the top price u can hope for. Sorry to disappoint though...

Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
I agree with everyone here. It is an extremely rare occasion that you will get any of the money you spend on mods back when you sell a car. A good general rule is this: total up all the money you spend on modifications and multiply the sum by zero. That's what you normally get back.

2000 SVT Contour -- SOLD! New car coming soon... 1980 Triumph TR7 -- Needs a new home...
K
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
K
The car is very nice indeed, but you might wanna take off the rims and sell them outright and re-install the original ones, if you have them Alot of people who are lookin' for these kind of cars want something pretty close to stock, this way they can make it their own ride. The only way someone would want your car the way it is if they were buying it from out of state, this way, nobody knows it at all. The most unfortunate part of the story is this, when they discontinued the Contour it really killed the resale value, this is why I'm holding on to my car for awhile and making it as nice as possible BTW, I don't know if you wrote it up that way, but it says the car was repainted the original color but with metalflakes in the paint. That color is NOT the original color, even w/o the metalflakes. Like I said earlier, it does appear to be tastefully done, but expect to be talked down a bit, probably in the area of $10,000 or so. Not tryin' to put your ride down, but its just the harsh reality of owning a Contour and then trying to sell it

Last edited by The Striped SVT; 01/13/04 01:57 PM.

"THEE" Roger R USMondeo@aol.com 2005 Crossfire Limited coupe' -FOR SALE @buyout price & I'll... -throw in my 93' Regal as winter car *Dragon Run 06'...Oct 12-15th* Puur-fection Auto Detailing Complete packages from $140.00
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  GTO Pete, Trapps_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard