Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
K
krang00 Offline OP
OP Offline
K
I'm trying to install a Kenwood KDC-515S head unit in my 98 Contour GL. I bought the wiring harness from circuit city, then spliced that harness and the one from the head unit together with directions from install Doctor (www.installdr.com). I went to turn it on but nothing. So I unplugged everything and plugged the OLD STOCK radio in and now it won't even turn on. I do not have premium sound. I checked the fuse under the dash and it was fine (seems like 7.5 is small though?). I tested the +12 volt ignition wire in the stock harness and it is getting power, I also hooked up the new harness that I made (circuit city + one from new radio) and tested the ignition wire on that end with no problems. I'm out of ideas, I tried the reset button on the new head unit, no luck. What could it be that even the old radio isn't working now?!?!?!

Please help, I'm going nuts!

B
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
B
Did you check both the 12V constant (yellow) and the 12V switched (red) wires for voltage?

The 7.5 sounds like it's for the constant--the switched radio fuse on the Contour is at least 10A if I remember correctly.

K
krang00 Offline OP
OP Offline
K
I just checked the red wire, I'll check the yellow one tomorrow. Also, could the ground have been nocked loose somehow, where does it terminate, could I check it?

Thanks for the feedback

B
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
B
I doubt you knocked the ground loose, but you could do a continuity check between the ground wire and a metal part of the vehicle's chassis.

Even if the ground is knocked loose, the radio will still work if the antenna is plugged in, since the antenna also provides a ground (although it's not supposed to be the only one!)

K
krang00 Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Well, I figured it out. The interior light fuse was blown. I didn't know that would cause the radio to stop working. I hate it when stupid little things like this come up!!

thanks for all the help,
Chris

Moderated by  dnewma04_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard