Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
#838018 01/15/04 10:44 PM
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Could someone explain this twin-keel thing? I've been trying to understand it but no articles really explain it that well; they primarily blow it off. Sauber went back to the single keel for '04 after using the twin for a couple of years.

-- 1999 SVT #220 -- In retrospect, it was all downhill from here. RIP, CEG.
#838019 01/20/04 07:23 PM
T
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by bigMoneyRacing:
Could someone explain this twin-keel thing? I've been trying to understand it but no articles really explain it that well

Well, it took me a while to dig up some information on this twin-keel thing, but I think I have it answered.

The new twin-keel design actually serves two very important purposes. First, and perhaps most importantly, it is specifically designed to do more damage to the other cars when Juan Pablo slams into them from behind. Second, the new design doubles as a front loader to regrade the kitty litter when Ralf and Juan have an off.

There are 10 kinds of people... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.
#838020 01/20/04 08:14 PM
S
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
From http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns12323.html

"The effect of this is that the airflow is cleaned up much more than was previously the case and is then further compartmentalised by the use of the "twin-keel" layout under the nose. Cleaning up airflow means that the air is less disturbed (and therefore more efficient) further back in the car - and specifically around the rear wing. The channelling of the air means that the sidepods are not as wide as previously, which means that drag is probably reduced."

Could someone explain this twin-keel thing? I've been trying to understand it but no articles really explain it that well; they primarily blow it off. Sauber went back to the single keel for '04 after using the twin for a couple of years.

Sal Khan 00 SVT - Not pretty 00 Aprilia RSV Mille - Also Loved. http://www.thelunchjournals.com "I just want someone I can stand once her mouth is free of obstruction."
#838021 01/20/04 09:15 PM
L
Webmaster
Webmaster
L
Originally posted by TheMark:
The new twin-keel design actually serves two very important purposes. First, and perhaps most importantly, it is specifically designed to do more damage to the other cars when Juan Pablo slams into them from behind. Second, the new design doubles as a front loader to regrade the kitty litter when Ralf and Juan have an off.

ROTFL! You're killing me!

-Lance

Lance Kinley CEG Webmaster 95 SE, "Cassandra" 10 years!
#838022 01/20/04 11:14 PM
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Originally posted by SalKhan:
From http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns12323.html

"The effect of this is that the airflow is cleaned up much more than was previously the case and is then further compartmentalised by the use of the "twin-keel" layout under the nose. Cleaning up airflow means that the air is less disturbed (and therefore more efficient) further back in the car - and specifically around the rear wing. The channelling of the air means that the sidepods are not as wide as previously, which means that drag is probably reduced."

Yep, understand that, sort of. It'll probably take pictures for me to really get it. They need to start introducing cars like the America's Cup yachts.

-- 1999 SVT #220 -- In retrospect, it was all downhill from here. RIP, CEG.
#838023 01/21/04 01:19 PM
V
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
V
AFAIK, "twin-keel" refers to the underside of the chassis (body), which appears concave when viewed from the front (like an inverted U). "Single-keel" designs are either flat or slightly convex. I think some suspension components are mounted to each keel in a twin-keel design.

E0 #36 '95 Ranger '82 Honda CX500
#838024 01/21/04 03:56 PM
D
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
D
Seems sort of like "ground effects" to me.

Dan B. 96 SE 2.5 auto
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard