Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
K
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
K
Okay, so I don't drive a Contour anymore, sue me. Still, I trust the advice of some of you guys on here, like Dave, Luke, and Colin just to name a few, just because I've been around here long enough to see who knows what they're talking about. So I'm hoping that I'm still good for some audio advice.

I have a 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo with the so-called premium sound system. I guess it's not bad as far as an 11 year old stock system goes, but it's not great either. The factory stock speaker sizes are as follows:
- Doors - 5 1/4" woofers, 3/4" tweeters (will accept most 6 1/2" speakers as well)
- Rear Side Panels - 3 1/2" (these are pointless and horrible, too close to the listener's head and mess up imaging, I will be removing these and not replacing them)
- Rear Stowage Compartment - two 5 1/4" subs (also hideous as far as subs, will be removed)

That said, here is what I have to work with already. I have a Alpine Type-S 8" subwoofer (SWS-0840) and a US Acoustics 65x4 USX 4065 amp. I will be bridging the rear outputs of the amps to power the sub (yeah I know, but I did it before and it was just fine ) and using the front outputs to power the mids and tweeters....which are the two things I need help picking out.

Now I don't really want to spend too much money on the mids and tweeters. I know Dave is like the master of knowing and finding the components that are lesser known but awesome quality. I was trying to search through old posts for some recommendations, but there's so many that it's hard to find them. I do have some electrical skills, so building my own crossovers is certainly feasible. I'd like to keep the total cost of all 4 speakers under $100 if possible.

Sorry for the long post, but in a nutshell, I'm looking for high-quality but fairly inexpensive 6 1/2" mids and 3/4" tweeters. Thanks a lot!!

Kendall Just another mid-engined troll '93 Toyota MR2 Turbo previously '97 GL Zetec ATX
H
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
H
Dude... You don't even own a Contour! ... go bug someone on the Mister Two forums!

In the meantime I'll look around for mids and tweets... but not for you!

2003 Ford Focus ZX3 "Tarmac" http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2352003
K
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
K
Silly Focus Monkey, I'll just consider your reply a bump! Ha, you helped me anyway!

Kendall Just another mid-engined troll '93 Toyota MR2 Turbo previously '97 GL Zetec ATX
R
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
R
How about 5/8" tweeters for .88 from parsexpress? here!

Remember this is why we're at war! I'm now officially a troll! 2004 Saturn ION QC with Sport Package AIM/AOL: animusshinigami
R
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
R
You could then search for mids that would work nicely with them. Therea re so many to search for, it's impossible to find em all!

Remember this is why we're at war! I'm now officially a troll! 2004 Saturn ION QC with Sport Package AIM/AOL: animusshinigami
K
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
K
Well as tempting as those $0.88 tweets are, they aren't the right size...

Alright, I've done some searching of my own, and I think these are good, but take a look:
Tweeters: PIONEER ADD64-56F 3/4" CLOTH DOME TWEETER
Mids: PEERLESS 833599 CLASSIC 6-1/2" WOOFER

One thing I do not want is piercing, fatiguing highs. I like treble, but I don't want it to be annoying either, so I've tried to pick the tweets according to that.

C
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
These Vifa Tweets are my favorites. You'd want the Vifa D26NC-05-06 silk tweets.

Here is the Peerless 6.5" Woofer you want. The one you posted is an 8ohm model.

Might also want to take a look at this Peerless Tweet or this Peerless Tweet. The second is a metal dome tweet, so it's probably a little bit brighter than the other two I linked to.

1999 Ford Contour SVT #900/2760 (SOLD) 2005 Mazda 6s 2003.5 Mazdaspeed Protege 1998 Ford Ranger 4x4
K
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
K
Thanks a lot Colin. Those look great to me, and I know you know what you're talking about. One thing though - the link you gave for the Peerless mids was for the CSX-130C, which is a 5" driver according to Speaker City . . . did you mean to post the link for the Peerless CSX-165C, which is the 6.5"?

Thanks.

C
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
Yeah, those are the ones. I clicked on the wrong size. Jack used those woofers in his system and really liked them. I'd definately trust anything he's given positive reviews on (he's got a Lambda sub and vifa tweets, which sounds awfully familiar).

I love those first Vifa tweets I linked to. I've got three pairs of them (Nakamichi actually bought and rebadged them, so one pair is technically Nak Tweeters).

I really wanted to try the Peerless RDC-2000 tweets (the second Peerless twets) as they looked pretty good on paper and had good mounting options. The price is good too at $12/each, but speakercity was out when I was buying my last custom components.

1999 Ford Contour SVT #900/2760 (SOLD) 2005 Mazda 6s 2003.5 Mazdaspeed Protege 1998 Ford Ranger 4x4
H
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
H
Originally posted by Kai:
Silly Focus Monkey, I'll just consider your reply a bump! Ha, you helped me anyway!

Drat! I'll get you for your mid-engined antics!

2003 Ford Focus ZX3 "Tarmac" http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2352003

Moderated by  dnewma04_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard