Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
S
OP Offline
S
Ok, here's some pics of when I did the sound deadoning in my trunk (from about 3 months ago). Since then I gutted the trunk again and added 3 cans worth of trunk liner and made it look more uniform. The first time I only used one can, so it wasen't as effective. Also, there's a pic of my amp shelf, which I have since redone with black carpet and bolted to the rear strut towers with angle brackets. Pics of that to follow. Let me know if you want more pics of the install, I have a few of the inside of the car completely gutted, and one with dynamat on the floorpan. None of the doors, but I'm probably gonna redo them this weekend, so I'll take pics then.

Oh yeah, note the grey color of the paint in the trunk. Looks much better with the black of the bed liner (don't worry, the reapplication covered a bit more too).

\'94 Cobra #4963/5009, black on black, not quite stock
Formerly owned a black '00 SVT, #1972
Join the SVTOA!
RIP - Ray "Old Fart Emeritus" McNairy
J
J
I like your amp setup, i am thinking of doing my similarly. Does dynamat spray make a big difference? I heard that it doesn't work quite as well as the actual "mat" stuff since it isn't as heavy.

------------------
AJ M.
Mmies8646@rowan.edu
take away capital M above for email
http://elvis.rowan.edu/mieskola

MODS:
Cerwin-Vega Door Speakers
JVC CD Head Unit
JBL GTQ220 Amplifier
Sony 2540 Amplifier
Kenwood 8" Dual Voice Coil Sunwoofer
JL Audio 8W3 Dual Voice Coil Subwoofer

1999 Ford Contour LX ATX
Color: Black
Engine: 2.0 Liter Zetec

MODS:
Cerwin-Vega Door Speakers
Kenwood CD Head Unit
Alpine V12 Amplifier
Polk Audio 12" Subwoofer
16x7 Motegi MR12's in Silver
205/55/16 Goodyear Eagle RS-A's

Soon:

SVT Body Kit
Forced Induction
S
OP Offline
S
I've got enough coats on there to equal the thickness of one sheet, but you're right, it isn't as much mass as real dynamat. It still adds strength, in theory, and it seems much quieter. I just didn't feel like adding 50 pounds of dynamat to my trunk

Join the SVTOA!
D
D
I has noise killer spray on my doors and it helped when I added the dynamat super there was a huge difference, Even in the feel of the door closing and the thud it made. I recommed using both together if you can spare it (cost and weight) if weight is an issue then the spray if it is not then I would use the mat over the spray. the spray is great in hard to reach places and odd contours as well as doors where the door panel has to go back on over the mat.
My .02
Dan

K
Kal Offline
K
Different and Steve, I'd be very very inetersted in knowing how effective you found the the sound metrial to be? I am not as much into sound proofing for music as much as I am into a quieter ride and feel esp in the back seat. I know we're in the audio section but I guess the procedure is the same. please let us know how good the results are.

D
D
I feel that it has made a drastic improvement. Especially from the trunk area. well worth the money if you ask me. I also used spray expanding foam in the wheel wells of the trunk and of the trunk lid. This also helps.
Dan

O
O
Quote:
Originally posted by Steve Bassen:
Ok, here's some pics of when I did the sound deadoning in my trunk (from about 3 months ago). Since then I gutted the trunk again and added 3 cans worth of trunk liner and made it look more uniform. The first time I only used one can, so it wasen't as effective. Also, there's a pic of my amp shelf, which I have since redone with black carpet and bolted to the rear strut towers with angle brackets. Pics of that to follow. Let me know if you want more pics of the install, I have a few of the inside of the car completely gutted, and one with dynamat on the floorpan. None of the doors, but I'm probably gonna redo them this weekend, so I'll take pics then.

Oh yeah, note the grey color of the paint in the trunk. Looks much better with the black of the bed liner (don't worry, the reapplication covered a bit more too).

How did you fit the dynomat in the last picture between the gaps in the trunk lid? I looked and didn't see a way for the lid to come apart, am I missing something?

S
OP Offline
S
I didn't actually cover the entire trunk lid, I just cut pieces of dynamat to fit on the shallow portions of the trunk lid. Kinda tough to tell from that pic, I can take a closer one if you want more detail on it (so you can see the half-assed job I did on it).

Quote:
Originally posted by Officer Cartman:
How did you fit the dynomat in the last picture between the gaps in the trunk lid? I looked and didn't see a way for the lid to come apart, am I missing something?

Join the SVTOA!
O
O
All this talk got me looking.. I stumbled across the following.. What do you think?
http://mobilesound.tripod.com/sound_deadening.html

Sounds like a bit of overkill, but I bet it's Lexus quiet now.

Hey Steven, did you apply the dynomat after you already had the sub in the car, or did you do everything at once? Just wondering if you had the outside rattling before because of the sub, and if the dynomat stopped that.

S
OP Offline
S
I had put dynamat in the same place on the trunk lid on my 98 Mystique due to ratteling from the same sub. I just threw it on the '00 'cause I knew that's where a lot of ratteling comes from (my Mystique didn't vibrate too much after that, and I never even did the rest of the trunk on that one). The rest of the trunk still saw a huge improvement after spraying it down and all, though.

Yeah, that link is essentially what you want to do, all though that's a bit overkill.
Check out the Sound Deadoning link on this page:
TeamROCS Technical stuff

Join the SVTOA!

Moderated by  dnewma04_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard