Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
E
edvard Offline OP
OP Offline
E
Good Afternoon,

I have a 1998 Contour four cylinder/auto trans that's been failing to start when it's cold (I live in Michigan). I've attributed this to either the battery going or the alternator, possibly the belt. It's been on my list of things to do, but haven't gotten around to it. I only mention this because I'm not sure how it relates to my now, more serious problem.

Last night after dropping off some packages at Airborne Express, the Check Engine light came on. About 1/4 mile down the street I lost power coming from the engine, while it was still running. The engine began to vibrate and emit metallic noises - a low grinding. The car died completely about 20 seconds after.

Due to the battery/charging problems, the car wouldn't restart. After jumping it, I could get it to run if I fed it gas, but the engine continued to vibrate and make metallic clashing noises. Again, no power was being
delivered to the wheels. The car died soon after and refused to start at all.

I'd appreciate any ideas you all might have.

Thanks.

K
K
What's the mileage on the car?

E
edvard Offline OP
OP Offline
E
~86K

K
K
I'm no guru, but here are a couple things to look at:
Inspect the belt. If it is gone, and you drove without it you may have some big problems in your future. Did the engine overheat after the jump? Did the power steering work or was it very difficult to steer?

My guesses:
You lost your belt.
The alternator is toast and it seized.
Idler pulley. (In my experience, Ford idler pulleys like to cause problems in 75K+ cars)

Others, please comment. My intent is to stimulate more discussion and I could be way off base here.

-Khufu01

E
edvard Offline OP
OP Offline
E
The belt's still sound. Oil is full & clean. Radiator fluid is full & clean. I checked the gauges when the CEL came on and everything appeared normal. Power steering did go out when the power stopped being transferred to the wheels. Transmission fluid was full, but a light brownish orange - like a fresh oil. My first thought was trans, as the engine was still running while the wheels ceased to turn. However, when the engine wouldn't turn over, I began to doubt it.

O
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
O
I have no idea. But the metallic noises coming from your engine through the whole dead engine out towards me. No power steering? Maybe... I don't know man. I think your engine if fried but what do I know?

95 Mystique GS Zetec ATX: Dead - Dec 5th, 2003 94 Accord LX 2.2L MTX Non-Vtec. Few bolt ons. 02 Escape XLT 3.0 V6 ATX. This thing has the CD4E in it?! What the hell was ford thinking?
K
K
Torque converter maybe?

B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
Originally posted by edvard:

...the Check Engine light came on....I lost power coming from the engine.....The engine began to vibrate and emit metallic noises - a low grinding.......make metallic clashing noises.
Thanks.

I hate to say this, but it doesn't sound good to me. Loss of power, grinding, metallic, and a clashing noise sounds to me like a serious problem involving oil, main bearings, rod bearings, etc. My advice would be to not try to start it until you figure out what's going on. If I'm right, any more movement of any kind will only do more serious damage. I hope I'm wrong.

95 Contour Zetec, ATX (wrecked, sitting in the barn) 95 Mystique Zetec, MTX 2000 Taurus SEL 3.0L Duratec 1994 Crown Victoria LX 4.6 V8 1993 Chevy Silverado 4.3 V6
W
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
W
I bought a 95 Mystique with horrible noise coming from the belt area (this netted a lot of $ off the price). When I got it home it acted like the engine had locked up. This made diagnosis much easier. As it turns out my AC compressor's clutch had destroyed itself.
Drop you serpentine belt off and see if all pulleys and accesories spin freely and smoothly. You can even run the engine briefly with the belt off.
Even if your timing belt does break, your engine is a non-interference engine. No valve or piston damage will result. Good luck.

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard