Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
E
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
E
Originally posted by albertucsb:
Here is the low down. I have spent past 3 hrs with 4 different dealer ships and ford customer relations. I hope this helps all you cali owners.

All dealerships checked my vin- I have a 2000 duratec auto. The part number for the pre-cats DO NOT fall under the CA mandated extended emissions warranty of 5 yr - 70k miles, just 3/50. They showed me the books, I donot have the part number but unfortunately CA contour owners are OWNED by friggin cali mandate. I was told I could register the vehicle in Nevada, and roll it into cali and get it fixed under federal 8/80 warranty.

So 2000 contour owners are SOL. So are Windstar owners with the 3.8. So folks I am bummed, but I have seen the ford warranty booklet pre cats are good for 3/50. Not more not less.

A silver lining for me at least- I think I tripped the CEL lightby dumping in fuel system cleaner. I have no symptoms of a precat failure, great gas mileage and no deterioration in power, not that auto duratecs feel all that fast. I have a gut feeling it isn't a burnt out cat, but gutting the pre-cats seem like a great alternative!

Thanks for all the help guys!

Oh- any cali owners with gutted pre-cats? Let me know how smog inspection went.

That cannot be.... pre-cats are part of the catalyst system, so they have to be covered. I think they are trying to sneak out of it. I would make a huge debate over this and bring in anyone involved in making and enforcing the warranty.

1998.5 E1 SVT Contour #5482/6535
A
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
A
The guys at the ford dealership, customer relations, and warranty dept all state the same thing. This part on the contour precat part # 5G232 is NOT COVERED. It is part of the exhaust manifold and it is one piece. I think ford was able to sneak this by CARB Mandate, due to it being an exhaust manifold coupled with precats -all one piece design. The books has CA Warranty Mandate and they are not the ones trying to get out of fixing it. I know this is a first for a Stealership.

CA needs to get this part on their list for 7/70 warranty. I have ESp, from their words "BEST FULL COVER WARRANTY" and they tried bypassing the emissions warranty and looked for a part number for the exhaust manifolds hoping it will give they a part number that would be covered under my premium extended warranty. To no luck it lists the same part number as the PRE-CATS-- GO FIGURE!

Well car drives fine, good gas mileage 330 miles per tank on an auto duratec. Does not exhibit signs of clogged precats and I am happy with it. CEL has not come on after 50 miles. I think CEL was tripped by FI cleaner.

But I hope this information helps out some Cali owners. Botton line CARB Screwed up, FORD lucked out with it being a one piece design. Perhaps CARB saw that it was a exhaust manifold and therefore should not be included in their 7/70 warranty. I have no idea but, Cali contour owners with part 5G232 are all screwed.

-Thanks for the help!

A
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
A
One other thought. This loop-hole really pisses me off. I would love to screw FORD buy reistering this car in Nevada and shoving this warranty repair up their *#&%#$! It is such BS. Cali car should get cali 7/70 warranty.

Well I have 55K on the car hopefully I'll move to another state before the 8/80 comes up and stick it to them!

Sorry- just venting. Its the principle of it all.

Thanks for reading my rant!

B
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
B
Ford customer relations is nothing more than a bunch of minimum wage idiots that type in what you tell them so that the dealership gets your comments.

They have no authority or power to do anything, and if you ask them a question they'll put you on hold for 10 minutes and return with the wrong answer or refer you to a dealership for the answer.

E
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
E
For being one of the most strict States in regard to emissions, this just doesn's sound right. Maybe Arnie will straighten it out.

1998.5 E1 SVT Contour #5482/6535
H
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
H
F8RZ-5G232-AC (Left)
F8RZ-5G232-BC (Right)

I presume these are the complete part #s you are referring to in your above post. I had them replaced on my '97 earlier this year at 79,900 miles n/c.

98 Mystique LS v6 atx 163,000km 97 Contour LX v6 atx 163,000km
A
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
A
Those are the exact part numbas. What were your symptoms of bad precats? Just want to plan ahead for when I will need to either replace them or gut them.

Thanks!

B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
I looked up the coverage just before I left work, and they are not on the 2000 list. They are on the 1999 list though. I believe that it is probably a mistaken omission. Someone at the dealership needs to call the warranty hot line on your behalf to see if this is just an omission. Try talking directly to the Service Manager and tell him about the posts here that show that this is a covered item prior to the 2000 model year and inlist his help. If you were in my shop, I would do that for you.

Bottom line though, if Ford won't budge, the dealer is stuck and cannot help. You may need to pay the bill then file a small calims action against Ford.

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited
A
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
A
Big Jim

Thanks for the advice! Are you at a Ford shop? If you are let me know where you are located.

Thanks for all the support and help.

Merry Christmas and have a safe holiday!

H
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
H
Originally posted by albertucsb:
Those are the exact part numbas. What were your symptoms of bad precats? ....

In my case excessive back-pressure caused the two small hoses to the DPFE sensor to blow off, CEL code displayed related to EGR flow not cat effeciency.

98 Mystique LS v6 atx 163,000km 97 Contour LX v6 atx 163,000km
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard