Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
W
I need some help from someone out there with a 1995 Contour Duratec with the manual transmission, and/or anyone who has dealt with something like this. Here is the story (I'll keep it short):

My car (95 SE MTX) died on the highway last Thursday. Nothing dramatic, it just wouldn't run. It would turn over, but would not catch. Towed it home and got to work. Checked fuel pressure, OK. Checked for spark, not OK.

So, I checked the usual. I have a relatively new coil, wires, and plugs (<1yr old), so they should be fine. I'd also suspect a gradual deterioration in driveability with a failure of these, not a sudden failure. I also replaced the crankshaft position sensor.

Finally, there is an ignition module mounted on the firewall next to the passenger-side strut tower. This is where things get wierd. I checked the Haynes manual, and it says that only the automatics have a separate ignition module ...the MTX models have the ignition module functions build into the ECU and the coil. So my question to any 95 Duratec MTX owner is: Does your car have this module? My only references are the manual and a buddy's 2000 SVT (which doesn't have it), so I am at a loss. It would be a thin, rectangular unit (about 2"x4") with a 12 pin connector. It is mounted on a bracket that bolts to the firewall and the strut tower.

One final piece of info: I put a used motor from a 95 with an automatic in the car 2 years ago, and I don't remember installing the module, but it is possible that one of my helpers did.

Thanks in advance for any help, and any additional ideas are certainly welcome.

Geoff

G
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
G
F4ZZ-12K072-AB

#824804 12/19/03 07:38 PM
W
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
W
Thanks, GregH! At least that part is supposed to be there.

Has anyone else had this part fail, and if so what was the failure like? Symptoms, conditions, etc...

Also, is there anything else that might have cause the failure I mentioned in my original post?

Geoff

#824805 12/19/03 09:28 PM
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
There is a recall on the wiring harness for the older 'tours where the insulation becomes brittle and cracks off exposing conductors to shorts etc. This is the first I've heard of the ignition module for the MTX. I'll have to take a look at my manual tonight and see if us ATX'rs are missing anything good.

Scott 95 SE-2.5L ATX (Sold, but not forgotten...)
B
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
B
What Haynes says maybe true for the Mondeo.

However, ALL 95 Contour/Mystiques, regardless of engine or transmission, have a separate ignition module. If it's a 4-banger the module will say EDIS-4 on it. If it's a 6-cylinder, it'll say EDIS-6.

R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
The EDIS module is pretty robust.

If it did die, odds are good that it was due to the forementioned wiring problem.

Since you replaced your crank position sensor you should be aware that the cam position sensor is much more prone to failure.

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it" -George Santayana
W
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
W
I had the wiring harness recall performed a couple of years ago, so I am hoping that is not the issue. Perhaps the falure could be a latent result of the damage noted on the old harness?

Also, I have not done anything with the camshaft position sensor yet. Does the ignition system use this sensor? I though it was for the fuel injection system. If it is tied to the ignition system, I'll pick one up and put it in just to be sure. Comments?

Thanks again,
Geoff

#824809 12/23/03 03:05 PM
W
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
W
Well, the ignition module is not the issue. I purchased a new one and tried it out, and still no spark. I also noticed that when trying to start the car, the speedo jumps intermitently, leading me to believe that there is a short somewhere in the system.

After 8 long years of service, I think its time to move on to a new car.

#824810 12/23/03 03:31 PM
B
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
B
Could be the cam or crank sensor..I can't remember which is used by the ignition module.

#824811 12/23/03 03:37 PM
G
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
G
the cam sensor will not prevent the vehicle from starting. It is used for injector timing. This system uses a waste spark design that fires one plug on compression and the companion cylinder on exhaust. The ignition system doesn't care which companion cylinder is on compression. The cam sensor tells the pcm if the engine is in the first half or the second half of the firing order and fires the appropriate injector. With no input from the cam sensor, the pcm defaults to a bank fire mode that uses more fuel, but guarantees that the next cylinder to fire has fuel available. Look at the cluster when you tur the key on and see if the CEL is on. If it is, the pcm is active. if it's not, the bulb may be out or you might be loosing power or ground to the pcm. Now try to start the engine. If the light was on, and now goes out during crank, the pcm can see the engine turning over. (which means the crank sensor and wiring are ok) If the light stays on during crank, look at your crank sensor, wiring, pcm or trigger wheel.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard