Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
J
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
J
Hey folks, I've just visited the state of South Carolina where family was for thanksgiving. Anyway, to make a long story short, the thought of exhaust modifications came to mind when I saw my uncle's v10 f250. He had recently gone through with customizing his exhaust to true duals... anyway, I wanted to know about on the stock '98 2.5 exhaust setup. I had my car in the shop for repairs on the brakes that some other shop up in Richmond VA had really screwed over. In the process, while the car was up on the jack I was gazing at the exhaust system. So, all you flow junkies, what's the deal with the muffler, has anyone ever thought about cutting off the muffler, and extending the pipe out to the back of the car, and leaving the resonator?

Would there be any advantages or disadvantages aside from noise and perhaps not passing inspection in some states? Any loss in back pressure, etc?

Thanks in advance.

1998 SE Sport MTX Dark Green Pearl 18" Velox Scythes 35% Tinted Around 3inch Cone Filter Removed : Muffler ====================== Jeremy
M
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
M
I did that, and Y'd it to fit the SVT bumper, but had them cut it off before hand, and I'll tell you it is one of the sweetest sounds you ever hear! Honestly it's a whole heck of alot better then cutting the resonator out, because of the rasp. Cutting the muffler off you don't get any rasp at all! You can feel a little more power too

Mazda 6S, V6, Speed Yellow 5 Speed, Sport package Bose audio Painted 'stash and HIDs! w/Injen 1/4 14.750 @ 94.94 Former car: 99 Contour SE Sport Black MTX V6 SVT plastic... 1/4 - 15.012 @ 90.58
S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
been there done that. I have had flowmasters. I have had no mufflers with res. no res with mufflers. and no res or mufflers. and now I have a borla. I actually got more horsies out of no res and no muffler then I have with anything else, even the borla. now there is a lot of rasp and its loud as all hell but still nice HP gainer

Trollin the boards as of 9/23
Originally posted by GS474:
stock hp is never enough

J
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
J
Yeah, I didn't add this, but I actually went through with the process, I wanted to see what the reaction was. But yes, I do find the sound to be pretty nice. I don't know about any HP gain, but it doesn't matter, I've got a nice sound, and now I'm reminded everytime I start the car

Anyway, thanks for the input!

1998 SE Sport MTX Dark Green Pearl 18" Velox Scythes 35% Tinted Around 3inch Cone Filter Removed : Muffler ====================== Jeremy

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard