Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
P
OP Offline
P
I was driving to see my girlfriend ont Toronto today, when i got an odd stutter while driving. It almost feels like a slipping automatic, except the car is a manual. It is not under hard acceleration, just when I lift off the throttle. CEG light is on too. I highly doubt that it is the plug wires because they were changed just befor I bought the car (Ford wires too!). Any ideas welcome.

98 Silver Frost SVT
"I was doing fine until I ran out of talent."
"It's not whether you win or lose, it's how drunk you get."
B
B
Is the stutter around when cold only or when warmed up? My car will stutter during the first 1.5 miles if I slow down to near stopping and then get on the gas hard. AFter its warm, it never happens.

Unfortunately, you prob. need to see a dealer if the CE light is on. Sorry I can't offer specific suggestions.

good luck

--
Barry Wolf
1996 Contour SE MTX Midnight Red, Parchment leather
Brakes: Bendix OEM size discs, Carbon Metallic Pads, Parking Brake TSB kit
Engine: New IAC valve, new EGR valve, new cat, new water pump, moose fix kit, K&N drop in filter
Tranny: Redline ATF + Ford Friction modifier
Interior: Pioneer CD receiver, Pioneer speakers, Ford RS shift knob, Ford vinyl floor mats (great purchase!)
Handling: E1 SVT Rims, Yoko AVS-I 205/55ZR16 (like butter) meats
Other: High beam bulbs in low beam position, new trunk vent
Other problems: leaky PS pump - fixed with 2 oz stop leak, 1 quart oil use per 2K miles
Mileage: 62K (August 2002)
A
A
Check for a vacuum leak. I had a misfire problem two months ago after the booster line broke. I'd replaced the line, but never took the fitting that goes to the manifold into account.

Black/tan early '98 Contour SE Sport; V6, MTX, loaded
Kenwood KDC 316S CD deck; aux. dome light mod; trunk popper spring; resonator bypass; hood strut mod; SVT grille; Continental tires
Mom also has black/tan '98 Mystique LS; V6, ATX, Alpine CD deck
M
M
My roomie had the same prob with his 2000 svt, i believe they replaced some emissions sensors under warranty and the problem was fixed.

99 SE Sport 2.5 Duratec
Spruce Green Metallic..
Aesthetic Only.... For Now

...the closest I will ever get to having a Turbo will be the Gillete Mach 3 variety!!!
J
J
If there's a CEL then thats likely a result of the problem you have.

"careful man, there's a beverage here."
e-mail: boseraq@hotmail.com
aol IM: madhat1412
J
J
Well the studder is not the plug wires, but the spark plugs themself, check the for carbon deposits. Mine did the same thing and it was my no. 2 spark plug. The CEL is comming on because of a bad O2 sensor, which is a common prob on contours.

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard