Q
This code is "catalyst system efficiency below threshold bank 1"

I dropped the car off at the dealer about this
problem since it started happening a couple of
weeks ago, and the car has 79,500 miles. The 80,000
mile emissions warranty which would cover the cats
ends in 500 miles.

The dealer called me and told me that the IMRC
isn't working, and they want $700 to fix it.

Funny, I have NEVER gotten ANY IMRC codes from that
car. I think I'll pass.

They also want to clean the fuel injectors.

They didn't find anything wrong with the cats so
I told them to check again. I made it pretty clear
that I know about the Federal emissions warranty,
so hopefully they'll have better luck finding a
problem this time around.

Brian

G
G
I recently got P0420 as well, and it has recurred a couple of times now after clearing it. Dang it! mad I know if I take it to the dealer, they'll give me the runaround and try to sell me unnecessary services as if I haven't got a clue what's going on.

Could someone be so kind as to post the diagnostic info for this DTC from the service manual CD-ROM? I'd look it up myself, but my CD is currently 1000 miles away.

TIA--

//> //> //> //> //>
Garrick
Silver E0, #3895 of 6535, built 10/2/97
She's stock. Why mess with a good thing? laugh
G
G
Quote:
Originally posted by garrick:
Could someone be so kind as to post the diagnostic info for this DTC from the service manual CD-ROM? I'd look it up myself, but my CD is currently 1000 miles away.
Check here

1996 Contour SE Sedan 4D (Royal Blue)
Duratec V6 2.5L 24-valve DOHC
Automatic
75,000 miles
No Mods (unless you call the DMD a mod)
Replaced EGR valve (gunked up), EVR (EGR VR), PCV valve, and evaporative emissions hose (cracked).
G
G
D'OH! Missed it... I was only searching for P0420 in the subject line. shocked

Thanks!!!

//> //> //> //> //>
Garrick
Silver E0, #3895 of 6535, built 10/2/97
She's stock. Why mess with a good thing? laugh
Q
qaz Offline OP
OP Offline
Q
They said they want to flash the PCM to see if the problem goes away.

Problem is that they want to charge me $90 for this...and flashing the PCM *IS* covered under the 8 year/80,000 mile emissions warranty (based on the fact that every TSB that requires flashing the PCM says it's eligible under the emissions warranty).

Another local dealer said that only replacing the PCM is covered, which is BS because Ford makes the dealers flash the PCM to fix a problem, not replace it.

Plus I expect to see an "authorized modifications" decal somewhere under the hood indicating that this flash was indeed done (according to TSB 97-9-8 entitled "PCM Reprogramming Tips", which states that the computer will display what needs to be filled on on the authorized modifications decal).

Brian

D
D
Quote:
Originally posted by qaz:
This code is "catalyst system efficiency below threshold bank 1"

I dropped the car off at the dealer about this
problem since it started happening a couple of
weeks ago, and the car has 79,500 miles. The 80,000
mile emissions warranty which would cover the cats
ends in 500 miles.

The dealer called me and told me that the IMRC
isn't working, and they want $700 to fix it.

Funny, I have NEVER gotten ANY IMRC codes from that
car. I think I'll pass.

They also want to clean the fuel injectors.

They didn't find anything wrong with the cats so
I told them to check again. I made it pretty clear
that I know about the Federal emissions warranty,
so hopefully they'll have better luck finding a
problem this time around.

Brian
Make them change the Cats first. Time for some payback.

R
R
I recently got a 420 and a 430. After reseting the computer about 3 times, I gave up. Might have to bring in it to Ford, if I can't figure it out. Thanks psoting the info regarding this.

Just out of curiosity do you guys have any hesitation at around 40-50 MPH. It didn't seem to do it before I threw the CEL. The hesitation def. gets worse when the car is under load, like going up a steep hill. It bucks a little bit and it is somewhat embarrasing. I had fixed the throtle hang a long time ago, so I don't think it can be this.

99 SE V6
Silver Frost
Aiwa CDC-MP32
Pioneer TS-A6867 (All Around)
Q
qaz Offline OP
OP Offline
Q
Well, they found that the PCM already had the latest code in it so they didn't flash it.

I suppose it's possible that the P0420 code had disappeared by the time they scanned it. Would be just my luck. I told them I'd be back if it came back (which it probably will in the next couple of days).

They did charge me a diagnostic fee for scanning the codes, which sucks...maybe when the P0420 comes back I can see about a refund for that.

I get the impression that the IMRC code is a "pending" code which explains why I didn't see it, I never looked at the pending codes. Although I would wonder why they'd want to fix a pending code that hadn't become a "real" code yet?

The question I have is--how can I make the catalyst test run? As I recall there's some special way to drive the car that makes it run all the tests, how do I do that?

They also found where it was leaking oil, which was worth the $50 unto itself. I'll have my favorite independent shop fix that (it's leaking from the oil pan).

Brian

B
B
qaz wrote:
I suppose it's possible that the P0420 code had disappeared by the time they scanned it. Would be just my luck. I told them I'd be back if it came back (which it probably will in the next couple of days).
  Have them retrieve the Mode $06 test results, and look at TID=$10, CID=$11, and TID=$10, CID=$21.  Perhaps your cats are right on the edge, so that sometimes they pass, and sometimes they fail, the internal diagnostics.  These test results should clearly indicate if this is so.

The question I have is--how can I make the catalyst test run? As I recall there's some special way to drive the car that makes it run all the tests, how do I do that?
  I believe you'll find the drive cycle described in your owner's manual, but a more detailed description can be found at <http://www.obdii.com/drivecycleford.html>.

{I do hate spam, but that isn't really part of my email address.  Remove the string ?HatesSpam? from the email address ?BobHatesSpam@blaylock.to? to email me.  No advertisements.  Spammers will be dealt with very harshly!}
-------
Moonlight Blue 1996 Mercury Mystique GS , Zetec engine, ATX.  No mods. (Well, OK, one mod.  Before I got rid of my previous car, a 1994 Tempo, I swapped radios.  I liked the Tempo's radio better.  That counts as a mod, doesn't it?  I also kept one of my Tempo's wheels to use as a spare.  I hate those stupid ?compact? spares that come with modern cars.  Does this count as a mod?  If so, I guess I have two mods.  Replaced burned/melted blower switch and connector on 19 February 2002 with a 1P3T toggle switch from Marvac and a Molex connector from Rat Shack; I guess this now makes three mods.)
H
H
How are you all being able to read these codes- do you have a code reader? and if so where dod you get it and how much?

'98 SVT #2253
Currently DEAD!
Cobra Paradise
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard