Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#67354 07/29/02 08:49 PM
J
OP Offline
J
I did a search and found a few old posts on this but no real solution. My odometer stopped working yesterday after about driving 50 miles. The speedometer still works fine. My thought is that the motor which runs the gears has blown or is on its way out since it comes on and off intermittently. I have a spare cluster which I've been using for parts. If I pull the motor off the other cluster and put it on the cluster in my car, will this solve the problem? I would hate to have to replace the entire speedometer if only the odometer doesn't work. Thanks for your help!

1997 Contour GL Sport ATX
Zetec/2.0 liter

K&N High Flow Air Filter
Mobil 1 SuperSyn 5W-30
Mobil 1 Oil Filter (M1-204)
Fram Sure Drain System
Ford Motorsport 9mm Racing Wires
Recontented Fog Lights, Rear Dome Light, Underhood Courtesy Light, Glove Compartment Light
Pirelli HPs
Kenwood in-dash CD player
Infinity 5752cf speakers
World Champion New England Patriots Fan for Life!

Wife's Car:
1998 Contour SE ATX
Duratec/2.5 liter

Mobil 1 SuperSyn 5W-30
Mobil 1 Oil Filter (M1-210)
H
H
Not familiar with speedo internals but replacement of whole unit seems an easier fix, particularly since you have a spare.

98 Mystique LS v6 atx 110,000km
97 Contour LX v6 atx 125,000km
stock CD on LS, cass on LX
spoiler, tinted windows on LS only
4 wheel discs on LX only
All other available options on both
B
B
A speedometer shop, if you can still find one, should be able to set the odometer of your replacement to match the one coming out, or they may be able to easily repair the old one.

Jim Johnson
98 SVT
J
OP Offline
J
Well, instead of swapping odometer motors, I went ahead and swapped the entire speedometer circuit board from my old cluster (w/o tach) to my new cluster (w/ tach). Now at least it shows the correct mileage. Upon careful examination of the two speedometers side by side, I found that the MPH match up exactly and the circuit boards were identical. The only difference being that the numbers on the larger speedo face are on the outside of the lines and on the smaller face they are on the inside. The only problem I faced was trying to get the needle back on so that it read properly. At first it jumped from 0 to 20 without even moving the car. Not good! So I played around with it and got it to move more consistently (and slower) and what I think is the correct mileage. Does anyone know a sure way to get an exact reading on your MPH? Do the scan tools have that option? Or should I just drive beside someone going say 65 MPH and see if mine matches up? What I really need to do is wait for my city to post those speed signs that tell you how fast you're going, then I'll know for sure. Anyway, thanks for your input and I hope I've helped give some advice to someone who's looking to swap clusters.

Zetec/2.0 liter

K&N High Flow Air Filter
Mobil 1 SuperSyn 5W-30
Fram Sure Drain System
Recontented Fog Lights, Rear Dome Light, Underhood Courtesy Light, Glove Compartment Light
Pirelli HPs
Infinity 5752cf speakers

Wife's Car:
1998 Contour SE ATX
Duratec/2.5 liter

Mobil 1 SuperSyn 5W-30
Q
qaz Offline
Q
Scan tools do have the option to display speed..

Brian

J
OP Offline
J
Thanks, I'll have to get my hands on one.

Zetec/2.0 liter

K&N High Flow Air Filter
Mobil 1 SuperSyn 5W-30
Fram Sure Drain System
Pirelli HPs
Infinity 5752cf speakers

Wife's Car:
1998 Contour SE ATX
Duratec/2.5 liter

Mobil 1 SuperSyn 5W-30
Q
qaz Offline
Q
Also, if you have access to a frequency counter (either a standalone one or built into a multimeter) the vehicle speed sensor outputs 8000 pulses per mile. So at 50MPH it should read about 111Hz, if my math is correct.

50 * 8000 / 3600 = 111

Or

(fHz * 3600) / 8000 = sMPH

Where fHz is the frequency in Hz
and sMPH is the vehicle speed in MPH.

Even easier:

fHz * 2.22 = sMPH

Brian

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard