Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
S
Quick computer quesiton.
The other day my 80GB drive stopped. Made a clunk and appeared to have stopped spinning (no noise). After a couple of restarts it finally came back and I have had no problems, but I am scared it will do it agian, but more permanently.
I want to buy another 80GB drive and copy everything on the existing drive and turn the new drive into my boot drive, reformat the old one and use it for 'volatile storage'.
What is the easiest way to do this (the attempt is to prevent me having to reinstal system software and apps)?
Initial thought was to do this through dos.
What are your thoughts? Thanks.

| 1999 SVT E1 | silver | 147 of 2760
M
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
M
Ghost

Beaten - 2003 MazdaSpeed Protege 29K <- broken hearted Daily/Weekend Beater - 1990 miata 138K - AutoX every weekend = Adult driven on weekends
C
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
C
Norton Ghost.

Also I'd try to get the existing drive replaced under warranty. Once you copy your data off it, of course.

Tom 98 LX (Zetec/ATX)
S
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
S
It actually is covered under warranty with dell, but only when it fails. I just need to get everything copied over for piece of mind.
I have the critical stuff burned to disc, but dont want to reinstall all of the stuff I have built up over the last 18 months.
Any other options than ghost? 70 bucks is pretty steep unless it would be a program that I am going to use frequently.
Thanks for the quick feedback.

| 1999 SVT E1 | silver | 147 of 2760
M
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
M
http://www.xxclone.com/

Also many new hard drives ome with some sort of utility to copy your data to a new drive so if you are buying the retail package you might get something there to do it (I dont know hwo good anything like this would be)

Beaten - 2003 MazdaSpeed Protege 29K <- broken hearted Daily/Weekend Beater - 1990 miata 138K - AutoX every weekend = Adult driven on weekends
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
If you have a newer OS you may not have much choice.

If you have Windows 98, you can copy the whole drive in enhanced mode and mark the partition active with a floppy after you make it master. I have been migrating my stuff this way for years. My ME and XP machines cannot do this.

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it" -George Santayana
R
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
R
What kinda drive is it? A lot of the drive makers have copy software on their web site. It should make an exact copy of your drive.

99 Contour Sport SE MTX KKM filter, B&M shifter No res, BAT kit Green car silver hood (because silver is faster)
P
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
P
Maxtor software allows you to copy entire partitions from one Hard Drive to the other. Should be free online. PowerMax or Max Blast.

Current Family Truckster 98 ZTour ATX
P
Master P
Master P
P
dd if=/dev/hda1 of=/dev/hdb1

Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
I've done this a bunch of times on windows.

I forget exaclty the steps but if u search the net there is tons of info. U have to disable the page file. then reboot. then copy and paste except for a system file or two. then just make the new drive the master and ur good to go.

I live in Detroit, I couldn't give a **** how good my car is in the "twisties." "I could use a hundred people who don't know there is such a word as impossible." ~Henry Ford
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard