Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
#793474 11/13/03 05:09 PM
S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
here's my new one, due to arive next week...

Trek 8500 w/ full Shimano XT running gear and Fox Float RL fork. it should be super sweet!!

i will post some pics of the actual bike upon delivery!!

Alex T. 98.5 Silver Frost CSVT #5510 05 Nissan Frontier Nismo 4x4 6 speed 85 Bronco II 6" lift 302 swap
#793475 11/13/03 08:23 PM
R
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
R
Originally posted by Nate S:
Originally posted by G r y m e s:
What model GT?

GT saddleback...

i like it, nothing too fancy...i dont think GT makes it anymore

The biggest problem with GT lately has been their recent sellout along with schwinn to PACIFIC, makers of Toys-R-Us extreme hardcore broken [censored] on wheels.

However, the old GT's are as good as any other bike-shop quality bike.

I just built up a GT Karakoram frame with all new parts and I think I like it more than any other bike I've owned. I kind of splurged and bought Easton Monkelite SL EC90 carbon riserbars, and a EC70 carbon seatpost along with a FOX 100RLC that is super plush and adjustable. This bike is a mix of old school steel frame with top of the line new components and I love it.

The NRS is one of my top choices if I were to move to full suspension. Everyone else at the shop I work at rides one in some form or another, and nearly all of our "high end" personal trade customers have one or want to have one. It is a very popular bike and a great value, especially for $800.

don't drink and drive.
#793476 11/13/03 08:30 PM
R
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
R
Originally posted by timeless420:

1) It take alot of fiddling to get the rear shock set up. If it's not set up right for "YOU" it will fee like you are riding a pogo stick, espically if you have too much air in the rebound side.

3) This comes as a word of caution. As nicely built and as light as the frame is.....be very careful with it. The tubes taper to be "VERY" thin in the middle of the top and down tubes (just flick on it with your fingernail....it will sound like an aluminum can). I can't tell you the number of time I have seen one of those frames dent from falling over from what I consider to be a height you shouldn't have to worry about. Just be careful and you'll have no problem.

It really shouldn't take much fiddling to set up the rear shock at all. The sid rear positive chamber should be set to your body weight plus about 5-10lbs and the negative chamber should be set to around 50lbs. Part of the design of the NRS is to be easy to set up for no bobbing. The concern with the bike feeling like a pogo stick is more an issue with dampening as it is on cars.

I have definitally seen a lot of dented NRS/XTC frames, though I never dented mine when I had it. My 265lb boss flattened one side of the frame when he "tapped" it on a tree in a very sharp corner, and another guy I worked with got a big dent in the top tube in a similar fashion.

I really like bikes, I wish it weren't so Goddamn cold out here in GR, I would maybe go ride.

don't drink and drive.
#793477 11/14/03 07:29 AM
G
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
G
Anxiety is growing! I got the UPS tracking number for my bike and it is to be delievered sometime Friday. This is just like Christmas. I am 21 years old and feel like a little kid again waiting for Santa to come. This is awsome! Pics for sure this weekend.

#793478 11/14/03 03:51 PM
R
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
R
Rollingstash- Played with the rear shock for the four seasons I've had my 2000 NRS XTC1. I weigh 205 - 200 pounds depending on the time of the year (us old folk get real lazy during the winter here on Long Island). I set the positive chamber for my weight plus 20 pounds. This completely eliminates any bobbing when pedaling.

The (rebound) problem occurs (IMHO) because the positive air spring pressure is so high. Giant specifies 50-pounds as a starting point for the negative chamber but both Giant and RockShox had me increase that in 10-pound increments to improve the rebound damping. At 80 pounds some small improvement in realized, but not enough.

Giving up and will send the shock (this winter) for a rebuild to (forgot name) a company started by a bunch of guys who left RockShox recently. Company name is in a recent issue of MB Action. I'm in heaven for those fleeting moments that the rebound works; otherwise, it's a pogo stick. Lighter people should not have this problem.

Frame is fine; I don't go looking for a lot of air. Know some people here on the Island who have broken there frames. Giant gave them BRAND NEW BIKES without any hesitation. Tough to beat that!

'95 Contour LX 54K miles '00 Giant NRS XTC1 First new car 1964 GTO
#793479 11/14/03 07:26 PM
I
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
I
Originally posted by G r y m e s:
Anxiety is growing! I got the UPS tracking number for my bike and it is to be delievered sometime Friday. This is just like Christmas. I am 21 years old and feel like a little kid again waiting for Santa to come. This is awsome! Pics for sure this weekend.

haha dude..i did the same thing...i called the bike shop over a dozen times when i was waiting for my airborn
that ride looks very nice...love the new color scheme..
sweet shocks too

looks like we started a new thing....alot of bikers on CEG!
SWEETNESS!
we all gotta get real pics thou
and maybe a seperate section on the forum?
anyone think thats possible

-the original non contour owner- an m3 or an sti? thats like asking "Miss USA or Hooter's waitress?" 05' Sti Silver/Silver
#793480 11/18/03 09:44 PM
L
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
L
Hey Brian...what did you do with your old bike?

I'm in the market for a mtn bike, but not quite as high end as the one you just got.

#793481 11/19/03 02:04 AM
N
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
N
Originally posted by rollingstash:

The biggest problem with GT lately has been their recent sellout along with schwinn to PACIFIC, makers of Toys-R-Us extreme hardcore broken [censored] on wheels.

However, the old GT's are as good as any other bike-shop quality bike.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I could tell my bike was pretty high quality...then my mom got a GT a year or so after I did...the quality was noticeably different (aka, its a piece of crap)...I didn't know why the two bikes would be so comepletely different until now... ...I'm kind of disappointed in GT now. I think that it is only their low end bikes that are crap now...hopefully im right

1998 T-Red CSVT 3.0L
#793482 11/19/03 04:40 AM
G
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
G
My old bike is sitting in the garage downstairs. Its a rigid GT Outpost, nothing to write home about. I would ride trails on my friends old FS Schwinn S20 since he boughtt the XTC se2. The S20 has since been sold.... he got shafted, $325 including shipping, I dont know why he let the guy talk him down so much.

Were you looking to buy a bike from me or just get some ideas?

#793483 11/19/03 04:53 PM
L
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
L
Well, I guess I was looking for a few good brands or places to start. Any good mtn bike forums around? I'm not looking to buy until Spring, but I was diggin the Gary Fisher Marlin.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard