Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
Jerry Offline OP
OP Offline
J
This morning I brought my car to AutoZone for
codes scanning, because I got intermittent CEL.

The guy looked around for a couple of minutes,
and told me that he cannot find the diagnostic
plug. He had to call Ford Dealer for advice,
and got the answer that this car needs a
SPECIAL DIAGNOSTIC INSTRUMENT, neither OBD-I,
nor OBD-II.

Is that true???? I cannot believe that.

This car really sucks!!
I cannot even enjoy this generous free service
to save some $ that most cars can.

J
Jerry Offline OP
OP Offline
J
btw: My car is 95 Contour, GL, V6, ATX.

C
C
NOT TRUE. I took my car to Autozone on Monday and while the guy had some difficulty finding where to plug in, after a while he was successful with the standard tool. FYI-It plugs in under the drivers side near thefuse box somewhere, not under the passenger side by the computer

EDIT My car is a 99 SE so I could be wrong!!!

J
J
I had autozone check mine last week, so the guys at your store must be smokin' rock. Mine was driver side, just up and to the right of the gas pedal I believe (on a 98 SVT)

'98 SVT
E0's with Yoko's
B&M
K&N
and a hot blonde ridin' shotgun
P
P
The OBD-I plug (on a 95) is under the hood. Go into the FAQ section from the main page, and a picture is provided. I'm pretty sure Autozone has a scanner that is compatible with the Ford EEC-IV diagnostics. I've seen tools in other parts stores that claim to be code readers for OBD-I Fords.

Sounds like the dealer was blowing smoke to get you to come in and pay them to read your code.

1998 Silver Frost SVT Contour born on...8/28/01[/i]
American Iron Shootout Radial Tire 2 Class Champion, Cecil County Dragway April 20, 2002
J
Jerry Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Thanks for all your info.
I'll check the FAQ section at first
and see what I can find.

N
N
I also have a 95 V6. The port is in under the hood on the drivers side in the far back corner. I purchased a scanning tool from WalMart for $25. It only works with 95 models but will give you all your engine codes.

R
R
You don't need a tool, just put a jumper between the correct two points in the connector and read the codes from your CEL.

You can download the Innova code reader manual in PDF form and it will provide you with all the codes and information you need to interpret them.

The FAQ will point you in the correct direction on how to jumper the OBD-I connector.

Equus Innova Web Page

95 Contour LX V6
Pioneer P1R + MB Quart + lots of amps!
R
R
I also have a 95 V6. The port is in under the hood on the drivers side in the far back corner. I purchased a scanning tool from WalMart for $25.

NWBurbs,

Can you tell me the name of the scanner that you bought at Wal-Mart? I'd like to get one if they are that cheap.
Thanks,
Rob

95 Contour LX
Approximately 120,000miles
2.5 MTX
Red
D
D
up to about 95 or 96 *depends on the make*, the scan port is located in the engine bay on the drivers side firewall/fender area. it will be a trapezoidal shaped plug, with a plastic cap on it saying something like, "scan port"

unplug this, hook up a compatable scan device.

when reading the codes, the CEL with flash a certain number of times. some scan tools display the codes with descriptions: others have you count the flashes.

OBDII-equipped models have the port located underneath the steering wheel/general area. there will *again* be a trapezoidal shaped plug with the plastic cap on it.

1985 SVO: 4 cylinders, 5 gears, 20 PSI
1998 torredor red SVT contour: #3705 of 6535
need info on your SVTs service/recall/warranty history? e mail me...
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard