Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
J
Janine Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I just had a customer tell me that her '95 V6 Contour caught on fire - engine cooling fan problem. She was able to get the fire out w/minimal damage, thank goodness, but she also told me that her friend's Contour caught on fire, & that the car completely burned up - total loss!!!! OK, granted this is rare, & who knows if she was exaggerating or not, but don't take chances. Neither of them knew about the cooling fan recall or blower motor owner notification.

If it affects your car, get the cooling fan recall work done, & do the blower motor resistor & wiring yourself as a preventative measure, if Ford won't - they won't take care of this unless you are actually having a problem they can verify.

And guess who still hasn't taken care of these, either???? Moi...see my other recent post as to why I've been putting this off - fear of dealer doing more damage than good. But I know, I have to get this taken care of soon.

Anyway, I never received anything from Ford about the blower motor. I learned about it from my dealer when I asked about all recalls concerning my car. I did receive the recall notice on the cooling fan fuse.

'96 Contour SE 2.5L Duratec V6 MTX Teal
Purchased New - 9/95
43,000 Miles - I Know, I Need To Get That Water Pump Replaced!!
K&N Air Filter/K&N Oil Filter, Castrol Full Synthetic Oil - Switching to Mobile 1
Advance Auto Salesperson (When Not Working At My Reg Job [Wildlife Biologist])
(Hey, Why Not - I Get A 20% Discount & Have Access To All The Parts Catalogs!!!!)
R
R
Do you have more information about the cooling fan recall? I have a 95 Contour V6 and have noticed that only one of the two cooling fans will operate. Thanks

T
T
There was a letter that was sent out on this which I can look for when I get home. Since this is a major safety issue, and a relatively simple, quick fix for Ford, the dealer shouldn't give you too much grief. (They just put in a fuse to cut the electricity *before* the fan motor burns up.) This is totally different that the blower motor resistor which is for heat/AC in the cabin. Alldata.com might have a listing on this.

Scott
95 SE-2.5L ATX (120K+ miles & many mods)
R
R
I got a new fans which includes the whole shroud.Fan and shrouds are one unit. I had paid for the initial work and parts, but after the recall, Ford reimbursed me, even for the rental.About CDN $572.25 in Nov 3, 1999.
Safety program code was 00S44.This was from Canada, and may be a different code/recall in the USA.Program included 95 and 96 Contours and Mystiques.
In addition program 00M13 was a 'Engine Fan Additional Coverage'carrot for a total of 8 years or 160000 kms whichever came first, or if you had more than 160000 kms, coverage until July 31, 2001.

stock 95 LX,6cyl ATX
R
R
And..as I remember, there were two different series of motors involved with the recall.The service guys took a quick look at my new fan motors to see the number of holes in the motor body cover.They passed and no fuses were required.
my old ones had burned.
NHTSA number for the campaign ID #in USA was 00V367000.potential vehicles affected : 262559.(i'm reading this from a printout that i kept)
Contiques that were affected were manufacture fro April 1994 to Dec 1995.
actually i wished my Contour had burned,since the tranny went a few months later. Multi $, and another story.
Cheers

stock 95 LX,6cyl ATX
E
E
Sounds like the heater blower resistor recall to me. I was just crusing down the road one day with my vent fans on when all of a sudden whitish smoke started coming from the vents. eek I thought for sure it would turn into a full blown dash fire. I could tell afterwards that the switch had melted some as it was very hard to turn. Got everything fixed under the recall, no more problems. smile

If you have one of the safety recalls outstanding, don't delay, get them done.

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard