Next Thread
Print Thread
#787995 11/03/03 10:13 PM
D
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
D
I am looking for winter tires. Anyone have suggestions on some models/manufacturers or how to look for a good set of tires? Know anyone I could talk to in order to get a deal?

I live in the Toronto area but frequent the London area.
Derek

1999 Ford Contour SE (Black) S&B Powerstack Air Filter Brullen Cat-Back Exhaust System (Loud Setup) Sylvania SilverStar Headlight Bulbs MSN Messenger: ddasilva99@hotmail.com
#787996 11/04/03 12:31 AM
G
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
G
Check your PM

You have to decide on what kind of driving you'll be doing.

For mainly mixed driving, any brand will honestly do. It basically comes down to budget and if you have a name brand preference. You do, however, have to look for the "Severe Service Emblem", a snowflake inside a mountain stamped on the sidewall. That certifies it as a snow tire. "M+S" doesn't cut it anymore.

Many are, on average, Q-rated i.e. don't go over 160 km/h or you'll melt/damage the tires. Unless you really commute on the 401 or require 16 or 17-inch tires, you don't really have much need for the "sport" snow tires like Michelin Pilot Alpins, Yoko Winter AVS, or Bridgestone Blizzaks LM-22s.

An "ice" radial like a Bridgestone Blizzak may offer great traction at first, but be aware that at about 50% wear, it becomes just a good all-season tire.

You also have the Swedish and Finnish brands as well: Gislaved (sp?) and Nokian. Both brands are well-known by European makes and are very good snows. It comes to availability, either getting them used from, say other Contour owners, or minty new and finding a local dealer. I have Nokians on my car. Tonight's wet and cold pavement were a breeze

As for rims, it doesn't really matter. Steel may work better since it's cheaper to replace if you dent it . However, aluminum rims do look better. Personal preference on this matter.

PS> If you can, run snow tires on ALL 4 wheels, especially if you are running Blizzaks or other specialty snow tires.

Richard | Focused 24-7 2002 Focus ZTS...+275,000km and beyond! Ontario Focus Owners Club | SVTOA-Toronto | SVTOA Redline Rendezvous
#787997 11/04/03 03:14 AM
L
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
L
Richards right, it really depends on what you are looking for. I run and have always run a "traditional" snow tire. They are a little noisier on the road but as far as traction etc is concerned I love them. The ones I purchased I have now are going on to their 5th winter and probably still good for another one, depending on what kind of winter we have. Be honest with yourself, why spend the money on a performance tire for winter??? think about it, ITS WINTER. I don't think cornering at high speeds is going to be necessary. Okay going out and having fun in the snow is good but I still have fun with my tires too.

Think about the type of driving you do and go from there. For me my concern is I do so much driving mainly highway so I wanted something that could deal with that plus still give me amazing traction to get me through those wonderful winter days way up here. If you were staying in the city I may consider a more performance type tire but again, are they really worth the money in the end. Use your common sense and stick with it. Everyone has their own opinions on what is good and/or bad in the end it is your money and your safety that really matters.

BTW, my tires are made by Hercules and have been a pretty decent tire for what they were. Price was good too. If I remember correctly about $50/$60 each I think (5 years ago).

As for rims, stick with steel. I use aluminium and I am actually going to be switching to steel tomorrow. One of my rims got damaged last winter and just cannot be balanced anymore. I find they tend to get damaged easier in the winter since the conditions are more harsh. Again why put the extra money into it. Yeh the look better but your like me, the car is dirty most of the winter at best. How bad will the rims look against a car covered with road salt.

1998 BLK SVT CONTOUR #2980 of 6535 395,000(ish) km (and counting) SVTOA-TORONTO Chapter Director www.svtoa-toronto.ca
#787998 11/04/03 04:40 PM
T
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
T
i bought 4 steel rims and a set of goodyear snow & ice 2 winters ago, and they have performed admirably. probably cost me $800 in total and well worth the cost. g/year actually has a rebate program on right now (i think to the 15th of nov.)

99 Sport SE - Zetec Mods: My wife vacuumed it last spring , my son wiped up his hot chocolate spill in December. My daughter found the tooth she lost last week .
#787999 11/04/03 09:51 PM
S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
I was just looking at winter tires as well on the tire rack site and came across some Dunlops Winter Sport M3s that by comparison with the LM-22s, faired better and were $30 (US) less. Does anyone have any experience with these tires?

#788000 11/09/03 12:52 AM
K
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
K
Hi, we actually sold our Contour, and still have our winter tires haging around.

They are one season old, Nokian Hakkapeliita 1s, 195/70R14 and are already on a set of black steelies.

We are in toronto and asking 300 OBO for the set. These are great tires, and my mom, who drove the car most of the time just loved how much grip they had.

Cheers

Dean

#788001 11/09/03 01:06 AM
D
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
D
keebs check your pm or email me at d_dasilva@rogers.com

1999 Ford Contour SE (Black) S&B Powerstack Air Filter Brullen Cat-Back Exhaust System (Loud Setup) Sylvania SilverStar Headlight Bulbs MSN Messenger: ddasilva99@hotmail.com
#788002 11/09/03 04:47 PM
B
B
Keebs87, are those snow tires still for sale?

1996 LX ATX, tint, pre-cats removed, auto dim/compass mirror
#788003 11/09/03 10:45 PM
K
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
K
They are for sale at the moment, however d dasilva will be over her e in a few hours to have a look at them. I will post if they are still available after that.

Cheers

Dean

#788004 11/10/03 03:40 AM
K
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
K
The tires are now sold

Moderated by  Gerald_dup1, mbb41_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard