Next Thread
Print Thread
#784320 10/29/03 09:03 PM
S
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
S
When I reverse and apply the brakes it sounds like the pads are shifting and knock against the caliper. They do the same thing when I go forward (after reversing). They only do it once per direction change.
They perform fine while driving and there is no shimmy or noise coming from the wheels while driving or breaking.
The breaks did not do this when first installed. It has become apparent over time. (3 months)
How the H-E-ouble hockey sticks can I make this stop? Can I just shim them/wedge something in there without taking the assembly apart?
Thanks.

| 1999 SVT E1 | silver | 147 of 2760
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
If the pads are knocking, they must be moving in the calipers. If they are moving in the calipers, they must not fit properly. This is not uncommon with some less expensive brake pads.

With the wheels off, check to see if the pads can be rocked slightly forward and back. If they can, they are too loose. You may be able to get a tighter fit by removing the pad and expanding the backing plate by dimpling it several times with a center punch near the ends. If not, you will need to replace the pads with some that fit better.

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited

Moderated by  Andy W._dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard