Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
S
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
S
I wanted to get some opinions and thought this would be a good place.
I want to have my own domain and email and wondered what insight you CER'ers could give me.
I will admit I am a NoOB when it come to this arena so if you have any good resources that you can reccomend for me to learn that would be appreciated as well.
Thanks.

| 1999 SVT E1 | silver | 147 of 2760
S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
netfirms.com

hands down best prices and service

RamMotorsports Lowest prices on SPEC Clutches and Flywheels
M
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
M
Are you going to be doing the actual hosting of the site or are you going to be paying somebody else to host it ?

Beaten - 2003 MazdaSpeed Protege 29K <- broken hearted Daily/Weekend Beater - 1990 miata 138K - AutoX every weekend = Adult driven on weekends
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
I use ehostingbiz.com

-- 1999 SVT #220 -- In retrospect, it was all downhill from here. RIP, CEG.
S
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
S
Originally posted by moxnix:
Are you going to be doing the actual hosting of the site or are you going to be paying somebody else to host it ?

That was a hidden quesiton in my question. What would be the best reccomendation? Right now I am strongly leaning to have someone else host.
What advantages would I have by hosting myself?

BMR and Cuervo, I will check those out.

Thanks for the replys.

| 1999 SVT E1 | silver | 147 of 2760
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
You can host it yourself, but if you have a dynamic IP address, you're site will go down anytime your IP changes until you can get it updated.
I hosted my own for a while and got sick of dealing with the IP, so I use a company called cyberland-usa.com ...

At $2.95 a month, it is as cheap as you're gonna find hosting. It includes 150mb storage, 3gb/month transfer, and unlimited email addresses. And if you pay annualy, they include the domain name registration...

I can honestly say in the year and a half that I've been using them, they've had about 1 hour of downtime that I know of. And their admins are quick to respond to emails...

Nick Johnson 87' & 88' Thunderbird TC 96' Contour SE Midnight Red ATX
M
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
M
Originally posted by stunts:
Originally posted by moxnix:

What would be the best reccomendation? Right now I am strongly leaning to have someone else host.
What advantages would I have by hosting myself?

The advantages are that you have complete control of the system and know exactly where the fault is every time you are down and you can do anything you want to the system.

The disadvantages are that if you have no clue what you are doing or how to do this type of stuff you can get hacked rather easy and who knows what you will be hosting then.

For you I would say go with somebody else hosting it. Right now http://www.1and1.com/ are offering 3 years of hosting free. I dont know if it will last the whole three years but I have a site up on them because it is not very importaint to me I just have it for fun and if they stop offering it I'll just switch to somebody I have to pay for (make sure to always keep a backup of your site if you worry about your host going under).

To register your domain I would go with somebody like http://www.namecheap.com they are $8.88 a year to register I dont think you can get much cheaper than that. I would try to keep the registration of the domain in different hands than whoever is hosting the site because if you want to switch hosts later some can be a real pain about giving you complete control of your domain. (yes I used namecheap to register my domain)

If you dont have a site and just want it for a never changing email I know namecheap (and I would guess other registers) have email forwarding where you can setup a few accounts and redirect them to your current email account and if you every switch your regular email you just redirect it to the new email address and as long as you have been using your domain email address nobody will know that you changed anything.

Beaten - 2003 MazdaSpeed Protege 29K <- broken hearted Daily/Weekend Beater - 1990 miata 138K - AutoX every weekend = Adult driven on weekends
M
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
M
www.1and1.com has free webhosting for 3 years with 500 meg of online storage.

I registered www.fordsvt.net with www.godaddy.com for $8.95 and pointed it to my 1and1.com site.

You can even get a free .tk domain if you go to www.dot.tk . Get that and direct it to your 1and1.com site and your good to go, for FREE.

I just need to start adding the content to www.fordsvt.net .

"Cobb - It's not just for corn anymore!"

Link Copied to Clipboard